Longtime Franklin Street clothier Milton Julian dies

PHOTO COURTESY OF THE JULIAN FAMILY

PHOTO COURTESY OF THE JULIAN FAMILY

Julian, owner of the former Franklin Street business Milton’s Clothing Cupboard, died Saturday at the age of 96.

He moved to North Carolina from Massachusetts with the desire to become a lawyer but changed his plans and opened up Milton’s Clothing Cupboard in 1948, which he ran until it closed in 1992.

Julian graduated from UNC in 1941 and served 3 1/2 years in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II.

While stationed in Italy, Julian earned enough winnings as a pingpong champion to open up his clothing business.

After Julian was discharged and returned to America, he married Virginia Barringer, and together they had five boys and two girls.

Julian’s nephew, Alexander Julian now owns Julian’s on Franklin Street, and his son Bruce owns Bruce Julian’s Clothiers in Charlotte.

Bruce Julian said his father always had retail in his blood.

“He was a people person, and he loved being downtown and knowing what was going on downtown,” he said. “He was a very nice guy, a very positive guy, and always sincerely optimistic.”

Bruce Julian said when times were tough for the shop in the 1980s, he would talk to his father for advice.

“When I told him things weren’t going that well — ever the optimist — he said, ‘How about selling ladies’ stretch pants?’”

Shannon Julian, one of Milton Julian’s sons, said Milton Julian always had a positive attitude.

“He was essentially a good man,” he said. “He was quite happy with life.”

Shannon Julian also said his father had a phenomenal memory.

“When I worked in the store, I would be amazed because folks that graduated from UNC ages ago would come in, and Milton knew their name, where they lived and what they did,” he said.

Sig Hutchinson, a Wake Forest county commissioner and long-time customer of Milton’s Clothing Cupboard, said Milton Julian could look at a customer and instantly know their size.

“His ability to use clothes as an extension of who a human person was was just remarkable,” he said.

Hutchinson said he shopped at Milton’s for over 20 years.

“After a while, I would call Milton up, say ‘Milton, I need a new suit,’ and he would bring it to me,” he said.

Hutchinson said when his son graduated from college, he needed a suit to wear for job interviews.

“Milton asked for the size, and the next thing I know he’s pulling up in the driveway with only one suit,” Hutchinson said. “He had brought the perfect suit.”

Shannon Julian said along with his father’s optimism, he also respected his graceful acceptance of reality.

He said he was with his father when Milton Julian learned he had cancer, and his dad turned to him and told him, “You know, I’ve lived a great life, and I knew it would end at some point. If this had happened when I was 40, I would have been pissed.”

Shannon Julian said, ultimately, he appreciated his father’s outlook on life.

“I value his acceptance of some of the difficult parts of life and the grace with which he did it,” he said.