Fraternities see full participation in One Act training for Greeks

“I think it’s just one of those things the IFC in general is trying to do to, sort of, be proactive and come out ahead of this issue,” IFC president Peter Diaz said. “(Sexual assault is) not just a Greek issue, but it is definitely relevant to the Greek system.”

In January, sexual assault training was made an annual requirement for all Interfraternity Council chapters, Diaz said. Each of the 23 chapters completed either HAVEN training, One Act training or One Act for Greeks training, most well before the deadline.

Prior to the change, sexual assault prevention training was only required every other year, but Diaz said the current Interfraternity Council administration prioritized amending the constitution to say every pledge class had to do the training.

“One Act for Greeks is a program that was specifically designed to address the needs of Greeks organizations and pertain to the organizational contexts and environments in Greek life,” said Aaron Bachenheimer, the director of the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life and Community Involvement.

Bachenheimer said aiming the program at Greek organizations means eliminating some sections of the standard One Act training — those on stalking and interpersonal violence — and emphasizing risk management, the meaning of consent and more Greek-specific case studies.

“One Act for Greeks isn’t a replacement for One Act,” he said. “So we strongly encourage Greek members who participate in One Act for Greeks to also participate in One Act and HAVEN and Orange County Rape Crisis Center trainings and Interactive Theatre Carolina training programs.”

Approximately 270 fraternity and sorority students completed One Act for Greeks this academic year, said Kelli Raker, sexual violence prevention coordinator for Student Wellness. This year, 20 students who did the standard One Act trainings said they were part of a Greek group.

Former Student Body President Andrew Powell said the training for Greeks was a priority for his administration to ensure that all members of the UNC community were doing what they could to prevent sexual assault.

“The IFC leadership, I think was really forward thinking and wanted to proactively do what they could to benefit campus and make our community safer,” Powell said.

Diaz said there’s still more Greeks can do in the name of sexual assault prevention.

“The executive order recognizes that mandating One Act does not fix the problem,” Diaz said. “While education is an important component, there’s still more that needs to be done.”