Men's soccer claims Coastal Division crown with 2-1 win over Lousville

The North Carolina men's soccer team has a flair for the dramatic.

Entering Friday's match against Louisville, UNC had tallied four goals this season in the final 29 seconds of either half. In addition, five of the Tar Heels' 12 wins had come in the second half. 

So in North Carolina's 2-1 win over the Cardinals, which handed the Tar Heels the ACC Coastal Division crown, it might have come as no surprise the victory came in come-from-behind fashion.  

The beginning of the first half saw a big focus on the right side of the field, as the Tar Heels (13-1-1, 6-1-0 ACC) maintained strong possession of the ball. But by the 23rd minute, UNC had tallied only one shot.

The Cardinals (6-7-3, 1-3-3 ACC) managed to shift this focus to midfield, playing more on the Tar Heels' side as the first half continued. Louisville also brought in freshman forward Tate Schmitt to bring an additional spark to the match.

Schmitt entered Friday's match leading Louisville with 15 points this season and managed to put the pressure on the Tar Heels once he entered the game.

Twice in the final 15 minutes of the first half, UNC sophomore forward Alan Winn just missed putting the ball into the back of the net, as both of his shots sailed high.

Although neither team scored, the first half was dominated by the Tar Heels, as they maintained possession of the ball for a majority of the half and out-shot the Cardinals 4-0.

Louisville entered the second half strong, firing off two shots in the first six minutes. And in the 55th minute, junior midfielder Daniel Johnson scored the first goal of the night to give Louisville a 1-0 lead.

But redshirt junior forward Tucker Hume provided an answer for UNC less than nine minutes later, putting the Tar Heels on the scoreboard with a header into the back of the net on an assist by redshirt senior defender Jordan McCrary.

In the 75th minute, the Cardinals appeared as if they might regain the lead when Schmitt fired a strong shot toward the goal. But the ball ricocheted off the goal post and the match remained tied. 

Freshman midfielder Andy Lopez finally broke the tie in the 83rd minute. On a throw-in by McCrary, senior defender Jonathan Campbell headed the ball to Lopez, who then headed it into the back of the net.

Goalkeeper Sam Euler tallied his lone save of the night in the 89th minute, helping the Tar Heels secure the 2-1 victory.

Quotable

“We’re looking at the game seeing what plays we’re going to make and where we’re going to be. We’re always paying attention when we’re on the bench and trying to make an impact when we come in.” — Lopez on his and Hume’s approach to moving from the bench to the field.

Notable

With Friday's win, UNC will be either the No. 1 or the No. 2 seed in the ACC Championship, which begins on Nov. 4 and will be played on campus sites.

Prior to the start of the season, Louisville was picked to win the Atlantic Division. UNC was picked to finish second in the Coastal Division behind Virginia.

Three numbers that matter

9: The first half ended with nine total fouls between both teams. The Cardinals committed seven of the nine first-half fouls and finished with 15 in the match,

31: Hume's goal in the 64th minute came just 31 seconds after he re-entered the match.

8: Hume's goal was his eighth of the season, which leads the Tar Heels. He also leads UNC in points with 20.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels host the Northeastern Huskies at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at Fetzer Field.

@lmh0987