UNC thumps Wake Forest, 50-14, improves to 2-0 in ACC

The North Carolina football team entered Saturday’s game with a chance to break an 18-year drought.

After storming back to defeat Georgia Tech two weeks ago, the Tar Heels took the field on Saturday against Wake Forest in search of their first 2-0 ACC start since 1997.

UNC failed to replicate its success against the Yellow jackets in the first quarter. But behind a 29-point outburst in the second quarter, the Tar Heels (5-1, 2-0 ACC) rode their momentum to a 50-14 win over the Demon Deacons at Kenan Stadium.

UNC’s first two drives concluded on interceptions by quarterback Marquise Williams. The Demon Deacons (3-4, 1-3 ACC) failed to score off of the first takeaway, but seized a 7-0 lead following Williams’ second turnover. The touchdown marked the first points allowed by the UNC defense off of a turnover this season.

Wake Forest’s lead stayed intact for the remainder of the first quarter, but the second quarter brought new life to the Tar Heels’ offense.

On the first play of the second quarter, Williams tied the game at 7 on a 57-yard touchdown pass to junior receiver Mack Hollins, who finished with three touchdown receptions.

The score marked the first of four by the Tar Heels in the second quarter, as UNC marched out to a 29-14 lead at halftime.

North Carolina’s defense limited the Demon Deacons to 62 total yards and no points in the second half, while the Tar Heels struck for three more touchdowns en route to sealing the victory.

Quotable

“We had a couple of things happen there that didn’t go our way. … We knew going into this game they were going to create some issues for us with as much blitzing as they did. They were going to hit us on some things, and we knew that and had talked about that — not getting frustrated. They may put us behind the chains a few times, but don’t worry just play and we’ll be OK. That’s what the guys did.” — Coach Larry Fedora on his team’s slow start.

Notable

Sophomore receiver Austin Proehl picked up 61 yards on a bubble screen in the second quarter, setting up a 1-yard touchdown run by T.J. Logan. The reception was the longest of Proehl’s career. Proehl’s father, Ricky Proehl, is the Demon Deacons’ all-time leader in receiving yards and touchdown catches.

Three numbers that matter

20: The UNC offense picked up 10 or more yards on 20 of its 59 plays, which accounted for 413 of the team’s 538 total yards.

6: Of UNC’s seven touchdown drives on Saturday night, six took less than two minutes. Of the Tar Heels’ 30 touchdown drives this season, 20 have come on drives lasting less than two minutes.

2: The Tar Heels entered Saturday’s game with only two total sacks this season, tying them with New Mexico State for the fewest in the country. But in a three-play span during the third quarter, defensive end Junior Gnonkonde matched this mark. He finished the game with a team best nine total tackles, two sacks and 2.5 tackles for loss.

What’s next?

North Carolina hosts Virginia at 3:30 p.m. next Saturday at Kenan Stadium. The game will mark the 120th meeting between the two teams.

@patjames24