North Carolina men's basketball earns No. 1 seed in East Regional of NCAA Tournament

North Carolina forwards Kennedy Meeks (3) and Brice Johnson (11) react to their 61-57 victory over Virginia in Saturday's ACC Championship game.

One day after winning the ACC Tournament final against Virginia, the North Carolina men's basketball team was given the No. 1 seed in the East Regional of the upcoming NCAA Tournament. 

Led by sophomore guard Joel Berry, UNC claimed a 61-57 victory over the Cavaliers and vaulted into a top-four position. 

The Tar Heels will play in Raleigh against either Fairleigh Dickinson or Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday. If North Carolina wins, it will play the winner of USC and Providence on Saturday.

UNC is 7-1 when playing a tournament game in Raleigh.

North Carolina has been a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament 15 times. When the Tar Heels have been a No. 1 seed, they have advanced to eight Final Fours and have won an NCAA Championship four times (1982, '93, 2005, '09). 

UNC Coach Roy Williams is 25-0 all-time in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Williams has won 64 games in the tournament, good for third all-time.