Switzer leaves it all on the field in UNC’s win

Senior Ryan Switzer (3) runs the ball away from Pittsburg defenders at Kenan Stadium on Saturday.

At that point, the senior receiver had hauled in 15 balls for 199 yards. He had caught four passes on the drive already — including a sliding 15-yard catch on 4th-and-6 that kept the game alive for UNC, which trailed the Panthers 36-30.

After that play, Switzer was visibly exhausted from his efforts, so much so that fellow receiver Bug Howard made it a point to tell him there was still work to do.

“One time he was beside me, he was just like drowsy, and I was like, ‘Man, you gotta come on, baby,’” Howard said. “‘We’ve gotta have this. We gotta have this just for the Coastal.’”

Hands resting on his hips, the 5-foot-10, 185-pound receiver lined up in slot. After running across the field and just past the first-down line, Switzer locked eyes with quarterback Mitch Trubisky. It was that time again.

“I knew it was coming,” Switzer said. “So I was just trying to make a play for my quarterback.”

The ball came in high and at his outside shoulder, prompting Switzer to leap backward to try and make the grab. And as he had 15 other times that day, he came up big — bringing in the pass and stretching across the first-down line. The conversion allowed UNC to continue its drive and eventually pull off a dramatic 37-36 comeback win over the Panthers.

After the catch, Switzer jogged toward the sideline — pausing halfway to catch his breath and double over in pain — before finally making it off the field and crumpling onto the North Carolina bench.

“When you say leave it all on the field, that’s what that man did,” Howard said. “I mean he was walking, falling, like, ‘Man, I can’t.’ And he just pushed through for us. He was a real believer tonight.”

Switzer and the Tar Heels (3-1, 1-0 ACC) got off to a rough start Saturday. The first time the senior touched the ball came when Pittsburgh (2-2, 0-1 ACC) punted early in the first quarter. As he has done several times in his career, he took the punt all the way to the end zone.

But it was called back because of a holding penalty.

On the very next snap — UNC’s first offensive play of the game — Switzer took the ball on a jet sweep and was dropped in the end zone for a safety.

North Carolina couldn’t get in an offensive rhythm until the second quarter. But the team soon made Switzer the focal point, a strategy the Tar Heels knew would be effective after watching Pittsburgh’s game film.

“In the gameplan this week, from what we had saw, he knew he was going to have an opportunity to have a big game ...” Coach Larry Fedora said. “They’re so run-dominate stopping defensively. They get those backers in there, the safeties are involved — so basically it was going to have him one-on-one against a safety the majority of the game.”

Switzer contributed to the passing game in every way imaginable: screens, crossing routes, deep shots to the end zone. It didn’t matter. He was going to come down with it every time.

The senior from Charleston, West Virginia caught 16 passes — which tied the UNC and ACC record — and racked up 208 yards, a new career high.

But none of it would have mattered without the last five catches and the last 40 yards — all of which kept the Tar Heels going on their last drive when so many had already counted them out.

“There wasn’t a time when I was out there, even though I was tired, that I didn’t think we could get it done,” Switzer said. “All fourth downs, I knew they were coming to me. I knew Mitch was going to look for me so I do my best to get open.

“And we say it all the time, ‘Big-time players make big-time plays in big-time games.’”

@jbo_vernon