UNC running backs foster family bond

UNC running back T.J. Logan (8) prepares to be tackled by Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (49) on Saturday.

North Carolina’s running backs had just finished practice and were walking over to meet the media, as they do most Wednesday nights.

This time, though, they opted to do something different. Someone suggested they do one interview together — as a family.

And so they stood, arms around each other: Khris Francis on the left, Elijah Hood and T.J. Logan in the middle and Jordon Brown on the right.

It’s a unique unit — two seniors, a junior and a first-year — but over the course of countless practices and games, they have become brothers.

“We are all pretty laid back,” Hood said. “We support each other, we work with each other, we compete with one and other, all those kinds of things.

"They are the guys I spend the most time with, I think — out of anybody, anywhere."

In Saturday's loss to Virginia Tech, North Carolina was missing its leading rusher in Hood. The Tar Heels needed the thunderous junior to play alongside all the quick backs that complement him on gamedays.

“I feel like we all bring different things to the table as backs,” said Logan, a senior who averages 6.5 yards per carry. “We are mostly speed guys, he’s a power back, so not having him was kind of different. But we are going to have him this week, so we are going to be fine.”

The glue holding the group together is Francis, a senior reserve who has carried the ball 10 times for 47 yards this season. After four years on the team, Francis understands his role on special teams and in certain personnel groups.

And while he's rarely the feature back, he still keeps the team first.

“It’s not any tension or anything like that in the (running back's) room,” he said. “It’s never been that way since I’ve got here as a freshman. We all understand we are coming to get a win, and that’s the most important thing.”

This season, the upperclassmen have also been bringing the first-year Brown into the fold. He got his first game action with three carries on Saturday.

“At this point he’s really doing his own thing, handling it well,” Francis said. “He’s past that stage where we are having to look out for him, coach him up. He’s just another one of the boys on the team now.”

Teams in any sport strive for the type of chemistry the Tar Heels have achieved with this position group. The upperclassmen have seamlessly brought along the newcomer, and all four have grown together over time — as a family.

“We are all pretty close, everybody in our group, we like to hang and we get along really well,” Hood said. “We are just a welcoming group. Any running back that comes in, you’re a dog now.

"That’s just the way we roll.”

@bauman_john