Beer, music and record turnouts at Chapel Hill's first Brewfest

Live musicians played while local breweries offered customers the chance to taste their unique beverages for the first time, during the first Brewfest at The Chapel Hill Farmers' Market.  

Brewfest featured free beer samples from several local breweries on Saturday morning at University Place. The event was in conjunction with the regularly scheduled farmers' market as well. 

Billy Rutherford, sales manager of Raleigh Brewing, said he has participated in similar events at farmers markets and believes they provide a unique opportunity to make connections within the community.  

“We’re all about staying local,” he said. “Being from Raleigh, we’re one of a few brewers that is locally distributed.” 

Rutherford said he also appreciates the opportunity for feedback from the potential new patrons. 

“Being at farmers markets gives us a chance to have one-on-one experiences with potential customers,” Rutherford said. “It’s just nice because you meet people who might have a different opinion and may not know your brand.” 

Ben Ingold, co-owner of Bull City Ciderworks, said his favorite part of the event was interacting with the crowd of new faces. 

“The people – that’s the best part,” Ingold said. “Being able to talk to everybody and share our product.”  

Kate Underhill, market manager for the Chapel Hill Farmers' Market, said although this is the Brewfest event's first year, it has been incredibly successful. She said Brewfest had more customers than their Tomato-Fest, which is usually their biggest event.

“We had over 1,000 people interested in the event on our Facebook page," she said.

Tim Harper, owner of Starpoint Brewing, liked the chance for new customers to sample his product and said he could tell the event was extremely popular. 

“We’ve gone through 160 cups so far, so we have about 80 more,” he said. 

Carrie Smith, marketing coordinator at the Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market, agreed, and estimated that  Brewfest had attracted far more people than their ordinary farmers market by itself. 

Brewfest will also feature a raffle for a mixed case of beers from participating brewers, which Smith said she thinks is a factor in the visitor turnout almost doubling their expectation.

The larger crowd also boosted business for many of the local farmers who regularly sell their products at the market. 

“Our vendors are very happy,” Underhill said. “They’re selling a lot of produce and bread, and our bakery is already sold out.” 

Ted Dwyer, owner of Lynnwood Brewing Concern, said the distinct atmosphere of a farmers market is beneficial to the brewers as well. 

“We were invited, and it sounded like a fun event,” Dwyer said. “Being mixed in next to produce and seafood at a farmers market, as opposed to a Brewfest, it’s more easygoing.”