Students create a bucket list for the perfect Chapel Hill summer

lifestyle-chapel-hill-summer-bucket-list

Texture courtesy of Adobe Stock

As summer quickly approaches, many UNC students are staying in the Triangle for classes, internships or jobs. 

But with the majority of the student population away, out-of-towners may not know the activities that Chapel Hill has to offer in the summer beyond campus. 

Don’t fret. Local students, like first-year Kennedy Turner from Durham, have got you covered with a summer bucket list.

Turner said the best thing to do in Chapel Hill over the summer is encapsulated in one word: eat.

Her favorite summer restaurant is Merritt’s Grill, she said, as the South Columbia Street restaurant's menu has summer staples like sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs. 

“You go to the pool, you hang out with your friends, we do whatever, but afterwards you have to go to Merritt’s to get a BLT,” she said. "That is my place of worship."

Holly Copeland, a first-year from Apex, also said that Merritt’s Grill is definitely worth the walk or bus ride. She also recommended Al’s Burger Shack for the outdoor seating and live music. Its location in Southern Village at it is fun because of the green space, she said — the perfect place for a picnic.

For dessert, Copeland recommends stopping by Maple View Farm in Hillsborough for ice cream. She said she likes that she is supporting a local business and there is never a bad time of day to go. She said she loves going at night to watch the sunset, but a picnic during the day is also lovely.

If you’re looking to get away from studying for summer classes or to try something new, Will Cavender, a first-year from Chapel Hill, said going to a concert at Cat’s Cradle in Carrboro is never a bad idea.

“They have concerts all the time. I think they have them at least every weekend, but even just going there and hearing random bands is super cool, you have no idea,” he said. “Tickets are always super cheap, and there is not really anything that’s a ‘bad band’ to be honest.”

Cat's Cradle also holds concerts on weekdays.

If you’re more into sports, Turner said that going to a Durham Bulls game with a group of people could also be a good idea. And if you get hungry, the Bulls host a weekly "Dollar Dog Thursday" for $1 hot dogs.

“I don’t really know much about baseball, but when you go with a group of people who can just chill out, hang out, watch the game, get the hot dog, sing the songs — it’s just a fun experience overall,” she said.

Turner also said the Fourth of July celebrations in the area are "super fun." She said watching the fireworks with a friend is a great experience, which she has done in the past at a Fourth of July celebration in Southern Village.

If you're looking for a fun activity that you can do throughout the summer, not just on a holiday, Copeland recommends the farmers markets in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. 

She said she didn't go to the farmers market a lot growing up, but they are a great opportunity to see different artisans, local farmers and other vendors.

She also said that if you have a car, a day at Jordan Lake can create a lasting summer memory, even though it's not an activity that people normally associate with Chapel Hill.

“It’s so gorgeous,” she said. “And it’s really not too far from campus, and you can go and you can swim, you can rent a boat, you can rent a kayak or paddle board, or you can just go lay on the edge of the water.”

Cavender said other outdoor fun can be found at Merritt’s Pasture. He said that it is accessible from campus and there are multiple trails for hiking, biking or taking a summer stroll. 

When the outdoors begin to get just a little too hot to be comfortable, Turner said going to the movies at Silverspot Cinema is a perfect way to beat the heat. The theater also has a college student discount on tickets.

“So when I go inside for a movie — like a nice blockbuster movie somewhere, like I went to see Barbie with two of my closest friends last summer and it was so nice because it was so hot outside,” she said. 

But for Cavender, a Chapel Hill native, the first thing to do if you’ve never spent a summer here is to go to Top of the Hill and sit outside for the view.

“It’s quintessential Chapel Hill,” he said.

@aliceaharris27

@dthlifestyle| lifestyle@dailytarheel.com