NCSU football players dismissed following sexual assault investigation

N.C. State University dismissed two first-year football players and suspended three others after reports of an alleged sexual assault at an on-campus party the players attended last month, according to CBS North Carolina.

According to a statement by N.C. State Director of Athletics Debbie Yow, these actions are not allegations of sexual assault and instead reference violations of the Student Athlete Code of Conduct and Football Team Rules. 

“Participation in intercollegiate athletics is a privilege, not a right,” Yow said. “The football players who violated the Student Athlete Code of Conduct and Football Team Rules have been disciplined by Coach Doeren, with my full support.”

Campus police sent an email to students on July 23 alerting them of the allegations.

“All three incidents are alleged to have been committed by male students known to the female student victims/survivors while at a party,” the email said. “University Police continue to investigate.”

Antoine Thompson and Kevince Brown have been dismissed from the team and are no longer enrolled at the University. Isaiah Moore, Erin Collins and Xavier Lyas have been suspended, head coach Dave Doeren said in a statement.

N.C. State police received three reports of sexual assault on July 22 stemming from the party, which occurred July 21, CBS reported.

The three players that were suspended were disciplined internally, according to a statement by an N.C. State Athletics spokesperson, Fred Demarest.

Doeren said in a statement he wanted to emphasize his respect for due process in the university and legal proceedings.

“We had five freshmen, two of whom have been dismissed, who made poor decisions that don’t align with the values of our program and each has been handled accordingly,” Doeren said.

Yow said the athletics department’s disciplinary actions were independent from those of the university and of law enforcement and that the department supports their separate investigative processes. 

“Should any student-athlete be charged with sexual misconduct by legal authorities, he will immediately be suspended from the team,” Yow's statement said. “That said, it is extremely important to respect due process for the student-athletes.”