Students create online syllabus organizer

Getting organized at the start of the semester can be tough, but a small team of UNC students has developed a new web tool to group all of your assignments in one place. 

The online platform Syllabye is an integrated planner and assignment organizer that lets professors and students stay informed and up to date on what’s due at all times. 

Syllabye co-founders Lucas DiPietrantonio and Jeremy Werden met through a mutual friend and bonded over spring break in Miami. They said the original idea came to them when they were thinking about the giant Excel spreadsheet DiPietrantonio makes at the beginning of each semester.

“At the beginning of every semester, he actually takes a list of all of his assignments, and creates an Excel list with every single thing he has to do," Werden said. "When I saw that, I just thought, 'That’s insane. I never thought of it that way.'"

Werden said the whole point of Syllabye is to collect all of the data in one place, just like an Excel spreadsheet listing due dates and assignments. 

“It’s essentially the ability to make a list where you can color code assignments, you can share assignments with classmates and such,” he said.  

The two were both in the entrepreneurship and business-planning class Business 500, where they began working with professor Jim Kitchen to develop a service for students. 

DiPietrantonio  and Werden said they have been working on the project since last December and are on their fourth release version, making their platform more user-friendly.

“We’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how we can make this thing as helpful as possible," Werden said. "People are resonating with the pitch and we are excited to see where it goes.”  

After the two had a solid idea of where they wanted to take the project and released a couple of working versions, they brought in junior journalism major Abigail Ueland to help them promote their product. 

Ueland said she's been speaking with several UNC professors, especially those teaching large introductory level lectures, about using Syllabye with their classes.

"A professor or a TA or even a student will upload all of the assignments onto Syllabye," Ueland said. "From there, they can share a link via Facebook Messenger, their phone, whatever. It works like a Google Doc sharing feature."

Ueland said Syllabye is up and running right now, and the team expects it to be in use at over 100 schools, but will be prioritizing use at UNC.

"It's just such an easy way to access all of the information from all of your classes for free," DiPietrantonio said.