Second former Town of Carrboro employee arrested in embezzlement case

A parking spot at the Carrboro Police Department.

Update Wednesday at 4:18 p.m.: A second former Carrboro town government employee, Kevin Lamar Wright, was arrested and served a summons in relation to the ongoing embezzlement case. He was arrested on Monday morning, and his trial is on Nov. 19.

A former Town of Carrboro employee was served a summons by the Town of Carrboro Police Department on Oct. 30 for four counts of embezzlement and three counts of common law forgery.

Christopher Cates, 59, was the public works superintendent for the town until he resigned on Oct. 24.

Capt. Chris Atack said the Carrboro Police Department opened an investigation on Oct. 17 after receiving an anonymous tip, which revealed that Cates may have been using town funds incorrectly.

“We began an investigation at that point and discovered there were some issues with Mr. Cates,”  Atack said. “After a very thorough investigation, we determined the charges were appropriate.”

Cates used the town money inappropriately to purchase a total of four sets of tires, Atack said.

Atack was unable to provide further information into the specifics of the investigation at the time of publication.

Rachel Heggen, communications manager for the Town of Carrboro, said in an email that the town thinks the police handled the investigation well.

“We are disappointed but would like to commend the Town of Carrboro Police Department for an efficient investigation,” she said via email.

Heggen said once the Town of Carrboro was made aware of the allegations, it informed the police, who then prompted the investigation.

Cates began working with the Town of Carrboro in 2013. He is no longer employed by the town.

Cates was released without bond and is scheduled to appear in court in Hillsborough on Nov. 15. The Daily Tar Heel will continue to update as more information comes in.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition

More in Public Safety