Carrboro Elementary School active shooter call placed by student, police find

carrboro-elementary-false-alarm-police-bus

Students from Carrboro Elementary school are bused to Carrboro Town Hall, where parents could check out their kids, on Tuesday Nov. 20 after an active shooter false alarm at the school. The police found no substance to the active shooter call. 

Update, Nov. 21, 12:37 p.m.: The Carrboro Police Department has found that yesterday's 911 call about an active shooter at Carrboro Elementary School was placed by a student, they said in a Wednesday press release. 

"The investigation is continuing to determine if charges are appropriate," the press release said.

Approximately 50 law enforcement officers were on the scene.

"We would like to thank the community and especially the parents of students at Carrboro Elementary School for their patience in what was a tense situation," the press release said. "While we are relieved that this situation turned out to be false, we want the community to know that we will continue to be vigilant in our training and preparation for these types of incidents."

Update, 1:37 p.m.: Parents who chose to pick up their kids picked them up from Carrboro Commons in front of Town Hall. The students were bused from Carrboro Elementary and arrived at about 1 p.m. Teachers had urged parents to not check out their kids to minimize trauma. The school is resuming their normal day. 

“Shortly after 11 a.m., (Carrboro Police) received a 911 call that there was an active shooter in Carrboro Elementary School," Capt. Chris Atack of the Carrboro Police Department said. "Officers were on the scene within two minutes. All investigation at this time leads us to conclude at this point that we do not have any information that it was a legitimate call. Investigation is continuing into the phone call. We have no injuries at the school, no incident at the school.” 

Parents of Carrboro Elementary students pick up their kids from Carrboro Town Hall on Tuesday Nov. 20 after an active shooter false alarm at the school. The police found no substance to the active shooter call. Students were bused from the elementary school to the town hall where their parents checked them out. 

Update, 12:32 p.m.: The Town of Carrboro has tweeted that the school has been searched and nothing has been located. 

The school will notify parents via text messages and calls when they can pick their children, and there will be a bus to take children to Town Hall, where parents have been instructed to wait for more information and to pick up their children. Normal pick up at the school will resume at 1:30 p.m. 

Update, 12:28 p.m.: According to the News & Observer, students are safe and the school will remain on "soft lockdown" for the rest of the day. 

Carrboro Elementary and Carrboro United Methodist Child Care are on lockdown because of a potential active shooter situation.

The Town of Carrboro is telling parents who want to pick up their children to come to Town Hall, not the school. Parents are being housed inside the board room until it is safe to get their children. 

Board of Aldermen member Bethany Chaney is tweeting from Town Hall. Chaney said the scene is calm.

Photo editor Taryn Revoir contributed reporting.

Check back with The Daily Tar Heel for more updates on the story. 

More in Public Safety