Sunday September 25th

Interim UNC-system President Bill Roper announces transition team three days after assuming position

Dr. Roper is the dean of the UNC School of Medicine and the CEO of UNC Health Care.     DTH/Sydney Hanes
Buy Photos Dr. Roper is the dean of the UNC School of Medicine and the CEO of UNC Health Care. DTH/Sydney Hanes

Interim UNC-system President Bill Roper has announced his eight-person transition team three days after taking the reins, according to a press release sent out by UNC-system Media Relations.

Three members of Roper's team will "serve in an executive capacity on loan from their respective agencies," including Carol Lewis, the executive director of the UNC Center for Health Innovation, Andy Willis, the chief of staff of UNC Health Care and Dan Gerlach, the executive director of the Golden LEAF Foundation.

The UNC-system office is in the process of executing contracts for the five remaining individuals on a monthly basis, the press release said. The contracts will total a combined $70,000 per month. These five represent a 

The team willed be co-chaired by Chris McClure, a government relations advisor for Brooks Pierce Law Firm, and Sen. Pete Brunstetter, a former state senator and general counsel for Novant Health Systems. 

The team is rounded out by Jim Blaine, principal of The Differentiator Group, Bernadette Gray-Little, the 17th chancellor of the University of Kansas and a former UNC-Chapel Hill provost and Charles Leffler, the former vice chancellor for finance and administration at N.C. State University.

Although former UNC-system President Margaret Spellings had her final day in office Tuesday, she will continue to serve in a consulting role until March 1. Spellings' final day fell one day after Chancellor Carol Folt announced her intention to resign following spring commencement, adding both to an ever-growing list of turnover in the UNC administration.

@21taylorpot

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022