No. 1 seed UNC stops trying to 'be cool' in second half of 88-73 win over Iona

Roy Williams

Head coach Roy Williams puts his hands on his hips during the first half of UNC's first-round NCAA Tournament game against Iona at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on March 22, 2019.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The way Roy Williams would have you hear it, there’s nothing he hates more in life than someone trying to “be cool.”

And that’s exactly what he thought his team was doing in the first half on Friday night. So when he entered the locker room of Nationwide Arena during the intermission to address his players, he made his message clear. Not by yelling, or scolding, or panicking, but by coaching, as senior guard Kenny Williams noted after the game.

Whatever Roy Williams did, or said, it worked for his team. After an underwhelming 20 minutes of play, the No. 1 seed North Carolina men’s basketball team came roaring back to life in the second half on the way to an 88-73 win over No. 16 seed Iona in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament.

“Needless to say the second half was a lot different from the first half,” Williams said. “I thought the first half we were very tentative on the offensive end, and didn’t do what we planned to do on the defensive end.”

Not only was UNC (28-6) a different team in the first half, but it was a bad one at that. The Tar Heels struggled on both ends of the court on their way to a 38-33 deficit and justthree first-half assists, a number that made graduate guard Cameron Johnson wince after the win.

“Only three? Ouch,” Johnson said. 

Yet the group that came out in the second half was no longer playing cool. It was no longer settling for shots around the 3-point line, or allowing its opponent to get open looks from beyond the arc. UNC began moving the ball around and playing inside, resulting in 30 points in the paint in the final 20 minutes, compared to just 18 in the first half.

“When we step on the court as a group, we say, ‘Let’s get the ball inside, work inside-out,’” Johnson said. “Easier to shoot that way, easier to attack the paint that way. We were just swinging it around too much and firing shots, and we kind of changed that.”

In the first half that wasn’t the case. But even more so, UNC was failing to show effort, and Kenny Williams agreed with his coach’s sentiment that the team was not quite playing to its full potential.

“They’ve got this thing where they see us playing cool,” Kenny Williams said. “They see us not giving them as much effort, they think, ‘Okay, we’re North Carolina, we’re going to come out, we’re going to win either way.’ That’s the way to describe that. I would say it was accurate.”

All of that changed in the second half. Not only did UNC score 55 points after Roy Williams spoke to his team in the locker room, but the Tar Heels also dished out 13 assists, got 15 points from their bench and did all the little things, diving for loose balls and playing with increased energy.

Most importantly, though, they listened to Roy Williams, and much to the coach’s delight, they stopped trying to play cool. 

As a result, UNC cruised to the victory and now awaits a date with No. 9 seed Washington in the second round on Sunday afternoon, as the team continues its quest to bring another national championship to Chapel Hill.

“That’s what it takes,” Johnson said. “Five more of these, and we’ve got something special. We’ve just gotta ride that wave, man. Gotta enjoy it, gotta have fun and gotta just live in the moment.”

@christrenkle2