Tuesday September 28th

Man charged with killing 3 Muslim students won't face death penalty, the N&O reports

(From left) Deah Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha lost their lives Feb. 10, 2015. (Courtesy of the Abu-Salha family)
Buy Photos (From left) Deah Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha lost their lives Feb. 10, 2015. (Courtesy of the Abu-Salha family)

The man charged with killing three Muslim students in 2015 will not face the death penalty, according to The News & Observer

Craig Hicks is charged with three counts of first degree murder in the fatal shooting of Deah Barakat, 23, Yusor Abu-Salha, 21, and Razan Abu-Salha, 19, at their Chapel Hill condo on Feb. 10, 2015. 

Durham District Attorney Satana DeBerry said in a statement on Thursday that she plans to proceed with a noncapital case to speed up the process, meaning Hicks will receive life in prison if convicted. Hicks will go to trial this summer, The News & Observer reported.

Deah Barakat was a second-year student in the UNC School of Dentistry. Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, his wife, was planning to begin her dental studies at UNC in the fall. Her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, was a student at N.C. State University. 

managing.editor@dailytarheel.com

Welcome Back Edition 2021