Column: Embrace the weird that will inevitably happen, trust me on this

_LL10023.jpg

"Fade in, start the scene, Enter beautiful girl"

If you're wondering what song this column starts with, it's Self-Conclusion by The Spill Canvas.  While that may sound like a weird song and a quirky band, it's kind of a bop and it 100 percent got me through some times in middle school, which arguably was an eccentric time in my life. To be brief about that, without revealing too many personal details, I was weird, but I had a blast. 

The uncanny and weird parts of my life have been the best. Just like the time me and some friends went to "see" Andrew Garfield in Wilmington, during our first year. 

Those memories of just "going for it" and embracing the weird things and approaches that come into my life are my absolute favorite. 

Don't get me wrong, Andrew Garfield is by no means weird, but the manner in which this opportunity  approached my life has a series of quirky backgrounds. For instance, the group of people that I ended up making this trip with, meeting them, specifically the girl who introduced me to the rest, was uncanny.

One night, I was scrolling through my phone during first-year, I heard a knock on the door that my roommate went to answer. An unfamiliar voice called out into my room as a young, up-beat girl asked my roommate "Is Brandon home?" to which he responded "Yeah, he is." The girl of course, then walks in nearly screaming "Guess who came to ..." to which I interrupted her ecstatic intro with my unexpected demeanor —  she wasn't expecting who she saw. 

Needless to say, she had gotten the room numbers for me and the Brandon across the hall mixed up — leading to a very confusing evening and introduction. We ended up talking for a bit to ease the awkwardness until she eventually left to go watch House of Cards with the Brandon across the hall. I could have left it there, but my drive to embrace the outlandish events in my life lead me to strike up a conversation with her in the hall. We're still friends to this day and every-time I see her, I relive my first year just a little bit. 

So, instead of letting the unconventional parts of college life freak you out, I challenge you to embrace the weird. Let the quirky things that will inevitably happen to you in this college town be just that — quirky — and don't be closed off to new experiences. I think you might find that your life will be a little bit happier, more whimsical, less strange but overall a little more weird — which, yes, is a good thing. 

Brandon Standley

Brandon Standley is the editorial managing editor of The Daily Tar Heel. He is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying public relations and psychology.