Stanford's Chris Miltenberg to helm UNC track and field, cross country programs

Chris Miltenberg intro
Chris Miltenberg, the new director of North Carolina's track and field and cross country programs. Photo courtesy of UNC athletics.

Chris Miltenberg is the new director of track and field and cross country at North Carolina, the athletic department announced in a Thursday press release. Miltenberg held the same position at Stanford for the past seven years.

“Chris has a proven record of building track and field and cross country programs into national contenders, and his dedication to student-athlete success goes well beyond competition,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in the statement. “He knows how to inspire, motivate, teach and lead, and he will be an outstanding addition to our family of champion coaches, our department and our University.”

The announcement came two weeks after the announcement that UNC would not renew the contract of Harlis Meaders, the previous head coach of North Carolina track and field and cross country.

Before coaching at Stanford, Miltenberg coached at Georgetown from 2007 to 2012 and at Columbia from 2004 to 2007. In 2011, Miltenberg led the Hoyas to an NCAA women’s cross country championship and was named the National Coach of the Year.

Last season, Stanford placed fifth at both the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Championships, fourth and fifth at the NCAA Men’s Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field Championships, respectively, and fifth and 10th at the NCAA Women’s Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field Championships, respectively.

“I am extremely excited to lead Carolina Track & Field/Cross Country into the next era of its great history," Miltenberg said. "Carolina is a truly special place unlike any other in the country and the potential for this program is enormous."

He continued: "I really want to thank Bubba for this opportunity and the incredible vision we both have for the future of Carolina Track & Field/Cross Country. My family and I are so excited to join the Carolina family. Most of all, we have a lot of work to do and I'm fired up to get started.”

@ryantwilcox