Renewed hope: Analyzing the Chicago Bulls' roster and how Coby White can help

Coby White NCAA Auburn
UNC first-year guard Coby White (2) answers reporters following UNC's 97-80 loss against Auburn University in the Sweet 16 round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, M.O. on Friday, March 29, 2019. White shot 0-7 on three-pointers, ending his season with a 15-point game.

The Chicago Bulls started last season with hopes of continued development for a core of young players. After a dismal 5-19 start, they fired their head coach Fred Hoiberg, and the season trended downhill from there.

A plethora of injuries plagued the young core of Kris Dunn, Zach LaVine, Denzel Valentine, Lauri Markkanen, and Wendell Carter Jr., with all missing time throughout the year. The Bulls' planned starting five never once saw the floor together in 2018-19.

By season's end, Ryan Arcidiacono, Shaq Harrison, Wayne Selden, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot and Robin Lopez strutted to the court for the final game. While their efforts were admirable, that's not the starting five the Bulls envisioned finishing the season for them.

In the offseason, the Bulls gave interim head coach Jim Boylen a contract extension and have been transparent about their desires to upgrade at the point guard position.

Enter Coby White, the sensational point guard from North Carolina who offers renewed hope for the Bulls after being drafted No. 7 overall in Thursday's NBA Draft. Before White was even able to leave the green room, he was met by Carter Jr., who will be one of White's teammates in Chicago. 

Boylen hinted at the possibility of playing faster and explored different small-ball lineups at the end of last season. That fits right up White's wheelhouse. 

In the open court, White's speed will have defenders on their heels fearing easy layups. If he can't get to the cup, he'll be able to pass out to Otto Porter Jr., the 6-foot-8 small forward who shot 40.6 percent from deep last season. When that doesn't work, White will be able to dish to LaVine, an athletic slasher who led the team in scoring last season, averaging 23.7 points per game.

In the half court, expect Boylen to put the UNC product in lots of screens with Carter Jr. and Markkanen. Carter Jr. has back-to-the-basket ability for White to dish down to in the low post. To help create space, the 6-foot-5 point guard can kick it out to Markkanen – an athletic forward who can stretch the floor and create his own shot off the dribble. Markkanen's ability to drift towards the 3-point line will give White more space to operate in the paint to look for his own shot or create for others. 

Chicago will have to decide what they want to do with Dunn. Organizations are usually hesitant to give up on young talent, but if Dunn can bring back assets via trade, they may move him. At this point, though, the third year point guard has a depressed trade market. 

If the Bulls choose to keep Dunn, they may have White come off the bench, allowing the UNC product to develop slowly, simultaneously allowing Dunn to increase potential trade value. If the duo takes the floor together, White would most likely move off the ball because of his 3-point shooting ability. 

Regardless of what Chicago does with Dunn, they have options and the ability to get better. The Bulls have around $20 million in cap space. Look for the organization to target a solid veteran point guard who can show White the ropes and another big man for him to facilitate to.

@JSIMP24