Man arrested after home invasion is thwarted by 11-year-old with machete

Hall, Jataveon.jpg

Jataveon Hall, 19, faces charges by the Orange County's Sheriff Office following a breaking and entering incident which was stopped by an 11-year-old boy with a machete. 

Orange County Sheriff’s Office deputies retrieved a man arrested on Sunday, June 16 by the Burlington Police Department in connection to a home invasion on Friday that was thwarted by an 11-year-old with a machete. 

Jataveon Hall, age 19, is accused of breaking and entering into a home in Mebane, N.C. shortly after 11 a.m. on Friday, according to an Orange County Sheriff’s Office press release. He did so with the help of two other suspects. 

An 11-year-old was home alone when a man broke a window on the side of the home. He entered the residence and forced the child into a bedroom closet. 

The child left the closet and was able to get a machete. He entered the living room and struck the intruder in the back of the head with the machete. The intruder then kicked the child in the stomach, causing him to fall against the couch. The boy stood back up and swung at the man again, missing. The intruder kicked the boy in the head before grabbing several items, including a television and a Playstation. He dropped these items when he realized he was bleeding significantly. All three suspects fled the scene. 

“Not only did this youngster thwart the larceny attempt, he created blood evidence that very well may lead to a conviction in this case,” Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood said. “This is very tough kid who kept his wits about him. At the same time, I want to reflect that this youngster, his family, and indeed this community, are very lucky this event did not have a tragic ending for the child.”

A man matching the description given by the boy showed up at UNC Hospital in Hillsborough needing treatment for a head injury. He was then transferred to UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill because of the severity of his injury. 

Hospital police were told to call the Orange County Sheriff’s Office prior to discharging Hall so that deputies could pick him up and take before a magistrate where warrants would be served. Hall, however, left the hospital Friday evening against medical advice. 

Investigator’s sought warrants from the Orange County Magistrate for breaking and entering, second degree kidnapping, interfering with emergency communications and assault on a child under 12. 

After receiving an anonymous tip, Burlington Police Department deputies located Hall at the home of his mother and stepmother.