Sunday March 7th

One dead, two injured in Franklin Street crash

An accident occurred at the Franklin Street and Mallette Street intersection on Sunday, Sept. 29. 2019.
Buy Photos An accident occurred at the Franklin Street and Mallette Street intersection on Sunday, Sept. 29. 2019.

A fatal, two-motor-vehicle collision occurred on Franklin Street on Sunday afternoon. 

A motorcycle and an SUV were involved in the crash, and the Chapel Hill Police Department is investigating.

According to a press release from the Town of Chapel Hill, the Chapel Hill police and fire departments were dispatched to the intersection of West Franklin and Mallette streets at 2:39 p.m. The person driving the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver and a passenger of the SUV were transported to UNC Hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries, the release said.

Franklin Street was closed between Church and Kenan streets for about three and a half hours while the crash was being cleared.

Ran Northam, community safety communications specialist for the Town, said the Town has no more information about the crash at this time. The identity of the decedent will be released tomorrow morning, after the family is notified.

The cause of the crash is under investigation. This is a developing story.

@jameybcross

Black History Month Edition