Editor's note: Patrick Conway was found guilty on charges of driving while impaired and misdemeanor child abuse Tuesday at his trial in Randolph County Courthouse, as first reported by WXII12.com. He won’t face prison time, WXII12 reported, but his attorneys said the case will be appealed.
Patrick Conway was ousted from his role as CEO of North Carolina's largest health insurer last month, but his ability to practice as a pediatrician at UNC Hospitals' N.C. Children's Hospital presently remains intact.
Conway stepped down from his role as chief of Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina after details emerged publicly of his arrest for DWI and misdemeanor child abuse this past summer. Those charges came after Conway drunkenly crashed his car with his two young daughters in the backseat.
However, Conway is still listed as an inpatient doctor in the hospital pediatrics section of the UNC Children’s website.
“Dr. Conway has privileges and works occasional shifts at UNC Medical Center, but hasn’t worked a shift since May,” UNC Health Care spokesperson Alan Wolf said in an email.
Jean Fisher Brinkley, a spokesperson for the North Carolina Medical Board, said she couldn't confirm or deny the existence of an investigation into Conway's status as a licensed physician.
“I can tell you that Dr. Patrick Conway currently has an active North Carolina medical license,” Brinkley said.
The N.C. Medical Board’s policy is to investigate if it has information that a licensee has committed a crime or engaged in unprofessional or unlawful activity. The process of investigation and revision takes an average of 90 days to complete, Brinkley said.
Conway's arrest occurred on June 22, nearly 110 days from the time of publication. His court date is scheduled for Oct. 8.