Tar Heels in the pros: Former UNC players young and old gear up for a new NBA season

Coby White Louisville ACC
First-year guard Coby White (2) pushes pass defenders for a layup against Louisville in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament on Thursday, March 14, 2019 at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C. UNC defeated Louisville 83-70 to advance to the semifinals.

The most wonderful time of the year  — the return of the NBA – is almost upon us. The media days of various teams have been taking place throughout the week, giving UNC fans their first look at the former North Carolina players getting ready to suit up for the 2019-20 season. 

Several players have been on the move, too, with multiple former Tar Heels getting ready to play for new teams. Here's what you need to know about the UNC pros, broken down by age group:

The new guys

After the 2019 NBA Draft, two of the youngest Tar Heel pros combined to give us one of the best memes of the summer:

That's right: it's Coby White and Cameron Johnson, UNC's latest lottery picks. White was taken No. 7 overall by the Chicago Bulls, while Johnson, in the shocker of the night, was selected 11th by the Phoenix Suns.

The Bulls showed off White as their shiny new point guard of the future yesterday but also refrained from naming him the starter. He'll have to battle with Kris Dunn and Tomas Satoransky for playing time as the Bull's lead guard, but he should get plenty of opportunities to show off his downcourt speed and scoring ability. 

As for Johnson, he's probably in the mix for the Suns somewhere behind Kelly Oubre and Mikal Bridges for minutes at small forward. He could also see time as a power forward situationally if the Suns decide to go small around Deandre Ayton. 

Nassir Little is also set to begin his rookie year – he was taken No. 25 overall by the Portland Trail Blazers – but likely won't see much playing time in his first season. Expect him to spend most of 2019-20 developing behind Portland wings like Rodney Hood, Kent Bazemore and Mario Hezonja, or playing in the G League.

Veterans

UNC hasn't produced any NBA superstars in a while, but it has filled the league with steady, dependable veterans. 

Coming off his second championship, this time with the Toronto Raptors, sharpshooter Danny Green signed a two-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, looking to provide 3-point spacing and defense to a title contender. Meanwhile, snipers Wayne Ellington and Reggie Bullock both signed two-year deals with the New York Knicks this summer. Whether any of those players are still on those teams by the trade deadline is anyone's guess. 

Ed Davis also switched teams this offseason, signing with the title-contending Utah Jazz for two years. That came after a career year with the Brooklyn Nets, where he averaged 8.6 rebounds a game. 

Finally, the Sacramento Kings re-signed Harrison Barnes for four years, $85 million this summer after being traded from the Dallas Mavericks in February. As a dependable scoring option at the small forward spot, Barnes adds a veteran presence to an exciting young team looking for a playoff berth.

Old heads

Marvin Williams and Vince Carter: they've been in the league forever, and guess what? They still are! Williams, 33, will (probably) keep starting for the Charlotte Hornets at power forward, and Carter has said he will retire after a record-breaking 22nd year as a pro in 2019-20. 

While Williams will play for a Hornets team that figures to be one of the worst in the league, Carter will contribute to an exciting up-and-coming Atlanta Hawks team led by second-year point guard Trae Young.

@bg_keyes