North Carolina women's soccer defeats Virginia in 2-0 shutout

ACC-womens-soccer-semifinals-40.jpg
Sophomore forward Isabel Cox fights for possession of the ball during the semifinals of the ACC tournament in WakeMed Soccer Park on Nov. 13, 2020. UNC defeated Virginia 2-0.

In the ACC semifinals match-up against the University of Virginia, the North Carolina women’s soccer team shutout the Cavaliers, 2-0, on Friday night. With this win, UNC will take on the Florida State Seminoles in the ACC Championship title game on Sunday. 

UNC started off with pressure early, getting to the Cavaliers’ box with ease. Just two minutes into the game, first-year forward Sam Meza broke the UVA defenders for a good shot which was saved by a dive by the Cavaliers goalkeeper, Laurel Ivory. Just three minutes later, junior forward Rachel Jones fought her way to the bottom left of the box for another almost-goal, forcing Ivory again to make a close save. 

The Cavaliers saw their best look at getting ahead after receiving a corner kick, following a Meza foul. UVA’s Claire Constant forced UNC’s goalkeeper Claudia Dickey to make a quick save on a bottom-center kick. 

When the game seemed to be stalling, UNC head coach Anson Dorrance wanted a change. He wiped the offensive slate clean, making six substitutions in the forward and midfielder positions and opted for fresh legs. 

A foul on senior defender Emily Fox for tripping just right of the center field started the battle. In a need to turn the tide, UNC began a long, assertive drive. On an aggressive run while battling multiple defenders, sophomore midfielder Aleigh Gambone was sent face-first into the turf on a trip by UVA’s Laney Rouse, resulting in a penalty kick for UNC.

Dickey’s number was called to take the penalty kick for the Tar Heels. She took center stage in front of UVA’s net after making the trek across the entirety of the field. In a quick shot that sailed just left of the UVA keeper, Dickey put the Tar Heels on top 1-0. 

Without too many scoring chances in the second half, Cox broke the stalemate with just about nine minutes remaining. On a long drive from just right of the midfield, she blew past several UVA defenders and rushed to the net. With a beauty of a kick, Cox put the ball up and over the goalkeeper for her second goal of the season.

Up 2-0, the Tar Heels closed out the game shutting out the Cavaliers for their eight shutout of the season. 

Goalkeeping has been one of UNC’s greatest strengths all season behind Claudia Dickey, who ranks second in the NCAA in shutouts with eight and goals against average (.300). With a goal and a shutout under her belt, Dickey was the player to watch Friday night, showcasing both her offensive and defensive talents. 

Though UNC held a lead deep into the second half, the 1-0 margin was precarious. It was still anyone’s game. Cox changed that. Her goal provided insurance for UNC’s precarious lead in the second half to seal UNC’s victory and spot in the ACC Championship title game. 

For the 24th time in program history, the Tar Heels are headed to the ACC Championship title game. UNC is now 26-3-2 all-time in ACC Championship Semifinals matches, continuing their dominant reign in ACC play. 

With this semifinal win, the Tar Heels will take on Florida State University in the ACC Championship game Sunday at noon at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina.