Drive-in at Carraway Village hosts movie series in honor of Black History Month

20210210_Wang_CarrawayBlackHistoryMonthFilms-005.jpg
The large screen overlooks parking spots at The Drive-In at Carraway Village on Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2021. The Drive-In features classic movies and special series from Film Fest 919.

There are many movies that highlight Black history, and the Drive-In at Carraway Village in Chapel Hill has chosen four of its favorites to showcase for Black History Month.

“History is important to us,” Randi Emerman, the co-founder of the drive-in, said. “No matter where we are or who we are—film tells that story.”

The Drive-In at Carraway Village is playing one movie each Wednesday in February. The next film to be shown will be “Hidden Figures” on Feb. 17 with “BlacKkKlansman” on Feb. 24.

“It’s very important to highlight films from many different perspectives,” Emerman said. “Each film is from a different time period and has a different story to tell.”

For those interested in attending, gates open an hour before each movie begins and tickets are scanned when you check in. To listen to the movie, guests can tune their car stereo to 91.1 FM or bring a battery FM radio.

The drive-in has also implemented COVID-19 precautions to keep their guests safe. Cars are spaced out from one another to promote social distancing in compliance with county guidelines.

If guests want a snack, concessions are supplied by food trucks on-site and their “sweet” truck. Concessions are delivered to cars so that guests can stay distanced from others.

Although the drive-in expects guests to stay in their cars for the majority of the time, they are required to wear a mask if they need to leave their car to go to a restroom or for an emergency.

“It's a safe environment that you can go out to the movies,” Emerman said. “And it's fun.”

Carol Marshall, the drive-in's other co-founder, said not having any new film releases this month due to COVID-19 enabled the theater to put on the series. 

"We simply wanted to honor Black History Month with some remarkable films," Marshall said. 

Emerman said going to a drive-in allows audiences to have a cinematic experience that they miss out on at home and have not been able to have for many months due to the pandemic.

“There are generations of people who have not enjoyed these films on a big screen, as they were originally intended,” Marshall said. “It’s an experience not to be missed.”

@mikaltrav