UNC exploring in-person graduation potential, Campus and Community Advisory Committee says

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 11.53.21 AM.png

Screenshot from the Campus and Community Advisory meeting on Thursday, Feb, 25, 2021.

CLARIFICATION: This article has been updated to include additional details about UNC's plans for an in-person commencement. The plans for Spring Commencement are still tentative as of publication, but Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz is expected to announce official plans within the next two weeks. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for any errors in the previous version.

The Campus and Community Advisory Committee discussed increased policing on Franklin Street for the March 6 UNC-Duke basketball game as well as plans for an in-person graduation at its Thursday meeting.

What’s new?

• UNC-Duke basketball game  
    • David Perry, assistant vice chancellor and chief of police, spoke about UNC students rushing Franklin Street after the most recent UNC-Duke game, and the University’s plans to prevent this from occurring again on March 6.
    • Perry said one arrest was made and the crowd was dispersed in 30 minutes on Feb. 6. The University did not see an uptick in cases after this occurrence, Perry said. 
    • Perry said the University will have police on Franklin Street to prevent this from occurring for the next game. He said campus police will not forcibly remove any individuals but will use verbal orders if incidents do arise. 
  • Spring 2021 Commencement plans
    • Based on a survey sent to expected spring 2021 graduating seniors, over 80 percent wanted an in-person graduation ceremony. 
    • The University is exploring the potential of hosting a socially distanced ceremony in Kenan Memorial Stadium. Various accommodations will be made to ensure this ceremony is in adherence with COVID-19 guidelines. 
    • Stacey Warner, senior associate director of University events, said the University reserves the right to pivot and make this ceremony virtual if there is a change in COVID-19 case rates or precautions. 
    • Spring Commencement will not have any in-person departmental ceremonies.
    • The plans for Spring Commencement are still tentative, but Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz is expected to make an announcement about official plans within the next two weeks.
  • COVID-19 vaccination distribution
    • North Carolina entered Group 3 for the COVID-19 vaccination distribution plan on Wednesday. On March 10, vaccination eligibility will open for all of Group 3, which includes all UNC faculty and staff, according to Catherine Brennan, executive director of environment, health and safety.
    • Brennan said those eligible should self-register online for their vaccination. Brennan said those near UNC can register to get vaccinated at sites across the state, including the Friday Center, where UNC Health has a mass vaccination clinic set up.

What is the purpose of the committee?

• The Campus and Community Advisory Committee was originally formed in fall 2020 to plan for a successful reopening in the spring semester. 
  • In the fall, the committee met weekly. This semester, the committee is meeting when necessary to address continuing COVID-19-related topics. 

What’s next?

• The committee will meet again before the end of the semester. A date for the next meeting has not yet been announced.  

@charlottemgeier