‘This University is everything to me’: UNC students rush Franklin Street after sweeping Duke

franklin street-4.png
Students swarm Franklin Street after the UNC men's basketball victory over Duke on Saturday, March 9.

Tar Heel fans young and old rushed to Franklin Street on Saturday night to celebrate as the UNC men’s basketball team claimed a 84-79 win against Duke University.

The team beat Duke in both games played in the 2024 basketball season – the most recent regular-season UNC sweep since the 2020-21 season, when COVID-19 protocols were still heavily enforced and people faced repercussions for rushing Franklin Street. 

Rushing Franklin Street is one of the most cherished traditions at the University. As some students stood on the crowded pavement Saturday, they reflected on how important the celebration was.

“My mom went to Carolina and I’ve seen pictures of when they rushed Franklin Street in 1993 for that National Championship, so every time I rush Franklin Street, I feel like a little piece of me was here way back when, and I think that’s really special,” Lizi Malone, a senior at the University, said

Alex Carrasquillo, community safety public information officer for the Town of Chapel Hill, said in a text to the Daily Tar Heel that the Chapel Hill Police Department began to close downtown streets at 8:53 p.m., seconds before the final buzzer went off. The roads were reopened approximately an hour and a half later. 

There were no arrests or confiscated items during the rushing on Saturday night. Carrasquillo said that an estimated 5,000 people were on Franklin Street, a smaller number than usual because spring break began after classes on Friday

Blake Gooding, a “two-time Tar Heel” who finished his bachelor’s degree last spring and is currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University, said he grew up as a UNC fan. Knowing this was likely his last time rushing Franklin Street as a student, he said he was “feeling every emotion in the world.” 

“This University is everything to me,” Gooding said. “To be out here, it's a family, everyone that comes here is a family and this is our Thanksgiving. Beating Duke is everything, getting to celebrate with everyone, there’s nothing like it. It’s magical.” 

Some students, like UNC junior Luke Manna, booked their flights around the game to be at the University for the tradition. Manna’s grandfather grew up in North Carolina, and although he did not attend the school himself, Manna said he was a big fan of the Tar Heels. 

Manna said it was his grandfather’s dream for his grandson to attend UNC. He said was happy to be able to rush Franklin Street and spend time with his friends. 

Dhruva Ghosh, a senior at the University, said that — having been a Tar Heel fan his whole life — rushing Franklin Street meant a lot to him. 

“The first time I ever rushed I was two years old, my parents were carrying me; and now as a senior, this is probably the last time I’m ever going to rush as a student and it’s incredible,” he said

Sandra Rich walked down Franklin Street on Saturday night with her husband Stephen. The pair reminisced about their time at the University as students in the 1960s. Though they now live in Chapel Hill, Sandra said they never got the chance to rush Franklin Street as students.

“We’re in our 80s, so we figured if we didn’t come up tonight, we don’t know when the next time will be that we sweep Duke – not only beat, but sweep Duke – so we don’t know whether we will be here or when the next time will be,” Rich said.

More in Student Life

More in University