Saturday sports roundup: Women's tennis unbeaten, women's lacrosse dominates and more

UNC MEN'S SOCCER
Giovanni Montesdeoca (10) passes the ball in the game against Duke University at Dorrance Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 6, 2020. Photo courtesy of Dana Gentry.

With several of North Carolina's fall sports teams adding spring seasons to their 2020-2021 schedules, The Daily Tar Heel will be recapping some of the action from this spring's busy weekends in roundups every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Women's tennis: UNC 7, Clemson 0 (Friday) 

The top-ranked North Carolina women’s tennis team (14-0, 5-0 ACC) remained unbeaten with a 7-0 road victory over the Clemson Tigers (6-9, 0-6 ACC) on Friday. 

The Tar Heels have now won four consecutive matches by a 7-0 margin, and the team won its sixth consecutive match against the Tigers. 

Doubles partners Sara Daavettila and Cameron Morra got things started for the Tar Heels, giving them an early 1-0 lead after defeating Eleni Louka and Jenna Thompson of Clemson, 6-2, on court one.

UNC was also able to secure a 6-0 doubles victory on court three from Alle Sanford and Reilly Tran, with the third doubles match featuring senior Alexa Graham and Elizabeth Scotty left unfinished. 

The Tar Heels went 6-0 on the singles courts with Daavettila, Morra, Scotty, Sanford, Anika Yarlagadda and Fiona Crawley all defeating their respective opponents. 

UNC will look to extend its unbeaten streak on Sunday at noon, when the team takes on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in Atlanta. 

Austin Bean, staff writer

Softball: UNC 6, Notre Dame 0 (Friday)

The North Carolina softball team (9-6, 5-1 ACC) began its four-game series against Notre Dame (7-6, 1-4 ACC) on Friday with a 6-0 win. 

The game started strong for UNC, with Notre Dame’s Abby Sweet being tagged out at home plate by catcher Taylor Greene in the top of the first inning. Greene made another impressive tag in the third inning to keep the Fighting Irish scoreless.

The Tar Heels opened the scoring in the bottom of the first, with two runs coming via Notre Dame walks with the bases loaded. The next run was scored in the bottom of the third inning, when Tar Heel center fielder Kristina Burkhardt scored on a passed ball. 

UNC eventually broke the game open in the fifth. Burkhardt scored once again, and a wild pitch brought home Greene to make it 5-0. A two-out single from first baseman Campbell Hutcherson stretched the lead to 6-0, which ultimately became the final score of the contest.

Starting pitcher Brittany Pickett was stellar, giving up no runs and allowing only six hits in the complete game shutout. 

Lindsey Ware, staff writer

Softball doubleheader: Notre Dame 13, UNC 0; Notre Dame 4, UNC 0

The North Carolina softball team (9-8, 5-3 ACC) faced off against Notre Dame (9-6, 3-4 ACC) in a Saturday doubleheader following a 6-0 win against the Fighting Irish on Friday night. The Tar Heels lost the first game, 13-0, and the second, 4-0.

The first game started off strong defensively for both teams, remaining scoreless until the top of the third, when Notre Dame second baseman Katie Marino hit a two-run home run. 

The Fighting Irish had an impressive fourth inning, complete with two home runs and a run off a wild pitch, making the score 5-0. Notre Dame then managed to score two runs in the fifth and another six in the seventh, ending the game at 13-0.

In the second game of the day, just like the first game, the Fighting Irish were bolstered by a hot scoring run, notching a total of four runs in the sixth inning. North Carolina, unable to keep up offensively, was shutout once again in a 4-0 loss.

The two teams will face off in the last game of the series on Sunday at noon.

Lindsey Ware, staff writer

Women's lacrosse: UNC 22, Virginia Tech 1

The No. 1 North Carolina women's lacrosse team (7-0, 3-0 ACC) maintained its undefeated record by defeating the No. 14 Virginia Tech Hokies (2-3, 0-3 ACC) by a score of 22-1 on Saturday. 

The Tar Heels scored 12 unanswered goals in the first period. Senior attacker Jamie Ortega scored three goals in the first half, with senior attacker Scottie Rose Growney and junior attacker Tayler Warehime each adding two more of their own. Virginia Tech’s lone goal of the game came in the last seconds of the first period. 

UNC’s offense continued to fire on all cylinders in the second period, adding 10 goals to their total score. Redshirt senior attacker Katie Hoeg and first-year midfielder Shannon Smith each scored two goals in the second half. 

The Tar Heel defense held the Hokies’ offense to five shots in the first period and six in the second. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Kimber Hower and senior goalkeeper Taylor Morenohad five and three saves, respectively. 

UNC will look to keep its undefeated streak going on Thursday, March 18 on the road against Louisville. 

Cooper Metts, staff writer

Gymnastics: UNC 196.150, William & Mary 190.800

The UNC gymnastics team (11-2, 7-1 EAGL) competed against William and Mary for the second consecutive Saturday, this time in Chapel Hill for the Tar Heels’ Senior Night.

North Carolina had the Tribe’s number in every category, winning 49.150 to 48.325 in vault, 48.775 to 46.675 on bars, 49.075 to 47.300 on beam and 49.150 to 48.500 in the floor exercise.

The Tar Heels also had the best performer in each category, with sophomore Elizabeth Culton leading all events except vault, where redshirt first-year Hallie Thompson and junior Drew Aldridge tied for the top spot.

UNC closed out the evening with the floor exercise, and it was only fitting that the final performance went to Lily Dean, the squad’s lone senior. Dean finished with a score of 9.800, tying her for fourth place in the event.

This victory marks the end of a successful regular season for UNC. The Tar Heels will be competing in the EAGL Championships in Pittsburgh next Saturday.

Christian Avy, staff writer

Men's soccer: UNC 2, Virginia 0

The North Carolina men’s soccer team (5-3-2, 5-1-2 ACC) defeated No. 24 Virginia (5-5-1, 3-4-1 ACC) 2-0 at Dorrance Field on Saturday.

After much of the first half was spent scoreless, the Tar Heels netted two goals in quick succession. Senior forward Giovanni Montesdeoca scored the first goal in the 34th minute via a penalty kick, then just two minutes later, he assisted a goal from redshirt first-year Riley Thomas.

The second half was commanded by the Tar Heels' defense, which locked in to leave the Cavaliers scoreless. Virginia had four shots and five corner kicks in the second half, but were unable to convert their opportunities into goals.

Junior goalkeeper Alec Smir was stellar, notching four saves for his sixth shutout of the season. Montesdeoca continued his success on offense, and he now leads the team in goals with four on the season.

The victory was UNC’s second consecutive win against a ranked ACC opponent, having defeated No. 4 Pittsburgh last Friday. Next Saturday, the team will take on Syracuse for its first away game of the spring.

Lucas Thomae, staff writer