Four-star running back George Pettaway commits to UNC football

20210918_Wilder_FootballUVA-461.jpg

Kenan Stadium pictured during UNC football's home matchup against the University of Virginia Cavaliers on Sept. 18.

The North Carolina football team secured its 14th commitment of the 2022 class Wednesday in the form of speedy running back and 247Sports four-star recruit George Pettaway.

The Suffolk, Va. native, who attends Nansemond-Suffolk Academy, is rated the No. 98 overall player and the seventh overall running back in the 247Sports composite rankings.

During his junior season, Pettaway led his high school team as a dual-threat out of the backfield, scoring 14 touchdowns on the ground while rushing for 714 yards on 52 carries in just four games. Pettaway also caught six passes out of the backfield for 111 yards and two touchdowns for an average of 18.5 yards per reception.

The fourth-ranked player in the state of Virginia joins offensive lineman Treyvon Green, edge rusher Bryson Jennings, cornerback Tayon Holloway, and wide receiver Tychaun Chapman to give head coach Mack Brown his fifth commitment from the state of Virginia in the class of 2022.

Pettaway also joins four-star running back Omarion Hampton as the second running back for the Tar Heels in the 2022 class. The two talented running backs could provide a future thunder and lightning combo out of the backfield for Brown — similar to the record-setting duo of Javonte Williams and Michael Carter. 

@austinb_unc