Behind the scenes of UNC men's basketball coach Hubert Davis' coaching staff

20210929_McGinnis_mensbballpractice-4.jpg
Assistant coach Brad Frederick leads a drill at the UNC men's basketball practice on Sept. 29 at the Dean Dome.

With Hubert Davis returning to the coaching staff in his new role as head coach, he's bringing new faces to the Tar Heel sideline this year at North Carolina basketball games.

The question of who would become the next head coach was answered in early April when Davis was hired. From there, the focus turned to filling out a complete coaching staff for the new era of UNC basketball. Davis addressed this task in his introductory press conference back in April. 

“In terms of the staff, I want to connect the generations,” Davis said in April. “I want to have guys on staff that played for Coach Smith, Coach Guthridge and Coach Williams. You have got to be a Carolina guy.”  

This standard held true, as Davis filled out his coaching staff to feature five former North Carolina basketball players, some returning and some joining the staff for the first time. 

Brad Frederick 

Brad Frederick was retained from former head coach Roy Williams’s staff and will serve as one of the assistant coaches under Davis. Frederick will be entering his ninth season as a member of UNC’s basketball staff, and fifth season as an assistant coach. 

Frederick will be in charge of scouting, recruiting and directing the junior varsity team, a team Davis previously coached before his promotion. 

During his college days, Frederick played on the UNC junior varsity basketball team as a freshman and was moved up to the varsity ranks his sophomore year. Frederick played under coaches Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge during his time as a player. 

Sean May

The 2005 NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player, Sean May, was promoted within the UNC staff and will serve as an assistant coach. Before his promotion by Davis, May worked as the director of basketball operations for four seasons under Williams. 

He is the first UNC assistant coach to be a former Final Four Most Outstanding Player.

May is one of only seven UNC players to average a double-double over his collegiate career, and holds the record for the most rebounds by a single player in a game played at the Dean E. Smith Center, when he grabbed 24 rebounds against Duke on his senior day.

Jeff Lebo

Like May, Jeff Lebo will be joining the UNC staff as a first-year assistant coach for the Tar Heels. Lebo’s most recent coaching stint was with the Greensboro Swarm, the Charlotte Hornets G-League team, where he served as assistant coach for one season. 

Lebo played at UNC from 1985-1989 and was teammates with Davis for one season. Lebo is tied for the second most assists by a UNC player in a single game, with 17, and shot an impressive 42.8 percent from three point range as a Tar Heel. He is the father of UNC sophomore guard, Creighton Lebo.

Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan returns to Chapel Hill with years of NBA coaching experience and will serve as the director of recruiting. During his 18 years as an NBA assistant coach, Sullivan coached for the Detroit Pistons, New Jersey Nets, Washington Wizards, Los Angeles Clippers and New York Knicks.

As a player, Sullivan was a part of three Final Four teams for North Carolina, including the 1993 National Championship team. He also played alongside Davis for two seasons.

Rounding out the remainder of the new basketball coaching staff are former player Jackie Manuel, the director of player and team development, and Eric Hoots, the director of team operations. Manuel was part of the 2005 National Championship team, while Hoots will be returning for his 18th season as a member of the UNC’s staff.