UNC gymnastics loses to West Virginia at home, 196.250-195.225

20220224_Connors_gymnastics-vs-wvu-2.jpg
Sophomore Jamie Shearer performs her beam routine during the Tar Heels' senior night meet against West Virginia on Feb. 24th, 2022. UNC lost 195.225 - 196.250.

UNC Gymnastics (9-6) celebrated its senior and alumni night on Thursday with a meet at Carmichael Arena against West Virginia (12-3), though the team fell 196.250-195.225.

North Carolina began the meet with vault, as senior Emery Summey started her senior night off strong with a solid 9.775 score. The team built off of this momentum, accumulating 48.950 points in the first rotation. No Tar Heel put up less than a 9.625 on vault, and first-year Lali Dekanoidze led the rotation with a 9.875. West Virginia also had a strong performance on bars to begin the meet, and after the first rotation, UNC led by .075 points.

The Tar Heels moved to the bars for their second rotation, finding even more success. Sophomore Jamie Shearer kicked things off for North Carolina with a 9.775. Dekanoidze once again led her team with her second 9.875 of the night. The Mountaineers were not as successful on vault as the Tar Heels had been, allowing UNC to widen its lead to .375 points. 

UNC began to wither in the second half of this meet. North Carolina’s third rotation of the night was beam, which was also started by Summey. She continued her impressive senior-night performance with a clean routine that resulted in a 9.825. The gymnasts thrived on beam until they were interrupted by Dekanoidze’s unsuccessful dismount that resulted in injury. The Tar Heels battled on, but first-year Julia Knower also struggled on beam, receiving a 9.225. West Virginia was able to take advantage of UNC’s struggle on beam to take a .200 point lead.

North Carolina ended the night with floor routines. Junior Hannah Nam performed first and received a 9.825. She was followed by senior Shailyn St. Brice, who showed out for her final home performance. Her energy and strong execution allowed her to score a 9.825 as well. However, this score did not become the standard for the Tar Heels on floor. The scores that followed were a 9.400 and the lowest score of the night for the team, a 9.075.

The team’s difficulties two rotations in a row kept them from taking home a win on Thursday night. UNC finished the meet with 1.8 points behind West Virginia.

Dekanoidze shined in the first half of Thursday night’s meet, serving as the top performer in both of the first two events of vault and bars. The first-year demonstrated the level of consistency that has come to be expected of her this season, as she has acquired three all-around titles and has been named EAGL Gymnast of the Week three times. Her injury on her beam dismount put her out of the meet, but does not discount the way in which she aided her team against West Virginia.

Summey made the most of her senior night. She successfully kicked things off for her team on both vault and beam, putting up impressive scores both times. Summey set the standard for her team to follow in these rotations and left her mark in her last home meet as a UNC gymnast.

This meet was not decided until the end. UNC led for the first two rotations, but West Virginia proved that the score gap was not too wide for them to rule out a comeback. The Mountaineers were able to take the lead in their third rotation on floor, while North Carolina struggled during the same rotation on beam. The final rotation gave the Tar Heels an opportunity to battle back, but further difficulties on floor allowed West Virginia to pull further ahead and win.

This loss shatters North Carolina’s four-meet win streak. These ongoing wins served as an essential boost to both stats and morale with the EAGL Championship looming. Before tonight, UNC led the EAGL Conference, but tonight’s difficult loss could change that.

Now done with their home campaign this season, the Tar Heels will hit the road this weekend for a Saturday matchup at Long Island University.