A student's guide to UNC Campus Recreation intramural sports

20220618_connors_intramural-2.jpg

Andrew Zadrozny, a rising junior studying computer science, poses for a portrait in his intramural soccer championship t-shirt at Hooker Fields on Saturday, June 18, 2022.

For UNC students looking for an easy way to stay active, UNC Campus Recreation offers intramural sports for all skill levels – no prior experience is needed. 

Registration for various intramural sports will be open throughout the fall and spring semesters. Students can sign up individually on the Campus Rec website with their roommates and friends as a team. If students sign up as individuals they can join as a “free agent” and Campus Rec will help them get placed on a team. 

Basketball, soccer, tennis, sit-down volleyball, ultimate frisbee, 4v4 flag football, unified sports, sand volleyball, Super Smash Brothers, Spikeball and NBA 2k are just some of the offerings. For students around this summer, Campus Rec is organizing Spikeball, pickleball, and sand volleyball.

“We want people to try something new and maybe they’re good at it,” Tori Hooker, the senior assistant director of the sports program at UNC Campus Recreation said. “At the end of the day, if they’re having fun and meeting people and staying active, that’s what we want them to do.”

Rising junior Andrew Zadrozny said it takes less than five minutes to sign up online to play a sport through Campus Rec. 

Zadrozny participated in indoor and outdoor volleyball, battleship, Rolleo, tennis and soccer last year. While he was new to sports like volleyball, he also used intramurals as a way to continue competing in sports he played in high school, such as soccer. As a member of the soccer team Mad Dogs FC, Zadrozny won an intramural championship this past year. 

“We had hype videos and an Instagram page,” Zadrozny said. “At the finals we had like 100 people watching, so it was a great experience overall.” 

Campus Rec offers two levels of competition. For sports such as soccer, flag football and basketball, it has a competitive league that is designed for people that have previous experience and want to compete at a higher level. There is also a recreational option for people that want to try out a sport or play casually to stay active. 

“Competitively, there’s a lot of good players,” Zadrozny said. “UNC is a school where a lot of people were great athletes in high school, but chose not to pursue it in college, or maybe don’t want to play club sports.”

Regardless of skill level, intramural sports provide an opportunity for students to enjoy their free time with friends, meet new people and have fun. 

Rising sophomore Isabella Kritzer, who began playing soccer in the second grade, played one intramural soccer game with friends and fellow members of UNC Alpha Phi Omega this past spring.

“(Playing intramural soccer) reminded me of the days when I played rec soccer back in elementary school when we all would come out because we loved the game,” Kritzer said.

Hooker said Campus Rec offers sports that likely no one has ever played before they get to college. The main goal is for students to try something new, build a community, and have fun by meeting new people. 

“Intramural sports are a great way to take a break from the everyday rigor that comes along with college and the stress of being an adult, being out on your own and having to balance classes,” Hooker said.

One of the biggest takeaways from all intramural sports players at UNC is the friendships that they form or strengthen.

“There were a lot of people that I kind of knew (going into intramural sports) and I got closer to,” Zadrozny said. “By the end, we were all very close and it felt like a family.” 

@RileyKennedy25