Wednesday September 28th

Chapel Hill Police Department charges suspect in University Gardens shooting

<p>University Gardens Condominiums on July 24th, 2022.&nbsp;</p>
Buy Photos

University Gardens Condominiums on July 24th, 2022. 

Content warning: This article contains mention of gun violence and death.

*

*

*

Updated 8/28/2022, 8:48 p.m.: 

Chapel Hill Police has charged Anthony Wuanya Holman, a 22-year-old resident of Chapel Hill, with first-degree murder related to the shooting at University Gardens Condominiums, the department announced in a Tweet.

CHPD said Holman turned himself in Sunday and is being held at the Orange County Jail under no bond. 

A 19-year-old was fatally shot Thursday evening at the University Gardens Condominiums apartment complex located at 800 Pritchard Ave. Ext., according to the Chapel Hill Police Department. 

The CHPD responded to a report of a shooting at 11:35 p.m, according to a press release from the Town of Chapel Hill.

The victim was later identified as Rahzel Tyreek Jenkins, according to the CHPD. He was found suffering from gunshot wounds and transported to UNC Hospitals, where he was pronounced dead. 

The CHPD has not released a suspect or possible motive for the crime. No other information is available to the public as of Friday night, according to the Town.

Other University Gardens residents said they heard voices and arguing outside before the event took place. 

Veda Krishnan, a resident of University Gardens, described the voices as "intense". He said when the voices got quieter, he felt something might be wrong. 

Another tenant who wished to remain anonymous out of concern for their safety said they heard screams and a car leaving the scene following the gunshots. They added they are no longer sure if they want to remain in the area after the event.  

"We live here, we're young, we're not really used to having to deal with things like this, so I have no idea," the tenant said.

The Town of Chapel Hill requests that anyone who has information call 911 or contact the Chapel Hill Police Department at 919-968-2760. 

@sam_long16

Next up in Chapel Hill Police

Next up in Public Safety

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

Next up in Chapel Hill

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022