Roads surrounding 203 Project construction site in Carrboro to become one-way

20221022_Peoples_city-new-traffic-patterns-203-project-3.jpg
Construction at the site of the 203 Project in Carrboro is pictured on Sunday, Oct. 22, 2022.

Beginning on Oct. 31, three roads surrounding the site of The 203 Project will become one-way streets as construction continues. The project is located on South Greensboro Street in Carrboro.

Traffic will travel in one direction on Roberson Street, Maple Avenue and East Carr Street. 

The three roads and South Greensboro Street surround what used to be the South Greensboro parking lot, which was fully closed on Oct. 17. 

“In order to safely work around the building, and have enough space to maneuver equipment, we have to extend the construction limits out into the road,” Ben Schmadeke, capital projects manager for the Town of Carrboro, said.

The construction is expected to be complete in Spring 2024. Schmadeke estimated that impacted roads will remain one-way for the entire duration of construction. 

He said that although the roads might be temporarily blocked for utility work, they will not be entirely closed.

Nate Boreiko, an employee at Neal’s Deli, a restaurant near the construction site, said the library is great, but the construction is creating some hardships for nearby small businesses.

Boreiko said the Town should take into consideration whether its construction and traffic plans are hurting some people.

“I'd be interested to see how it actually ends up,” Boreiko said, despite some concern over construction.  

For cyclists who wish to access the Libba Cotten Bikeway, the Town of Carrboro encourages them to use Carr Street to avoid oncoming traffic on Roberson Street. 

Drivers seeking alternative parking can consult the Carrboro Town parking map.

Since its groundbreaking in May, the parking lot and site of the 203 Project remained mostly open.

“In the past five months, there's been a lot of preparation for site work," Schmadeke said. "It's been a lot of utility coordination up to this point."

In August and September, the construction team began work. They installed a stormwater junction box and about 50 feet of stormwater pipes.

Schmadeke said the construction workers are currently demolishing the existing pavement and preparing for the foundation work.

“Speaking for the Town of Carrboro, it's been as efficient as it could have been,” Schmadeke said.

In a Sept. 13 Carrboro Town Council meeting, Schmadeke said there will be about eight early-morning concrete pours before 7 a.m., which might cause noise.

The construction contractor will notify the Town one week in advance of upcoming works and will work with the Town to alert residents and business owners. However, no more than two morning pours will be permitted in a given week, and they will not fall on consecutive days or any Sunday.

When the construction is finished, what used to be the municipal parking lot will host the Orange County Southern Branch Library and the Orange County Skills Development Center.

The project will provide opportunities for education, art and community connection, according to the Town.

Catherine Lazorko, communication and engagement director for the Town of Carrboro, said the library will be the first standard-sized library and the largest capital project in Carrboro.

“There's great excitement in the community to see this public center constructed,” Lazorko said. “It's been a long time coming and many people are eagerly awaiting the completion of this project.”

@meiyouyexu