Orange County Chief Deputy Jamison Sykes to retire in May

faski-breaking-oc-sheriff-2.jpg

The Orange County Sheriff's Office, located in Hillsborough, is pictured on Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2022.

Jamison "Jamie" Sykes, the chief deputy for the Orange County Sheriff's Office, will retire in May, the office announced this morning.

An Orange County native, Sykeswas hired by the office in 1995 as a detention officer, and has served as Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood's chief deputy since Blackwood's first election in 2014. He has also overseen narcotics cases and supervised the Criminal Investigations Division.

The chief deputy position assists the sheriff with daily operations, helps to plan for the future and manages the office's divisions.

“I am personally going to miss seeing Jamie at work every day, and I know I am not the only one,” Blackwood said in a press release. “After staff meeting last week, I thought about his role in building and shaping the team we now have and the service we provide to Orange County. I made sure to tell him he will always have a place at the table he built.”

According to the press release, Blackwood will announce new personnel assignments later this week.

@ethanehorton1

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.