Ida B. Wells Society moves to Morehouse College, leaves UNC

202207622_Hussman-2.jpg
The UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media on June 22nd, 2022.

The Ida B. Wells Society for Investigative Reporting will relocate to Morehouse College, according to an announcement from the College released Thursday morning. 

The Society was co-founded by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and UNC journalism school alumna Nikole Hannah-Jones, and has been in partnership with UNC-Chapel Hill since 2019. 

It was officially founded in 2016 and has previously been affiliated with the City University of New York's Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism and Harvard University. 

"We are grateful for the opportunity and experience of partnering with the Society since 2019 in its work to encourage and retain reporters and editors of color in the field of investigative reporting," Dean Raul Reis said in an email to Hussman faculty. 

In a 2021 interview with The Daily Tar Heel, the former director of the Society, Rhema Bland said the initial failure of the UNC Board of Trustees to offer Hannah-Jones tenure as the Knight Chair in Race and Investigative Journalism made the dynamics between the University and the Society awkward. 

"Carolina is committed to an inclusive and equitable community for all,"  Reis said in the email. "We look forward to the future work of the Society and wish their team all the best."

@dailytarheel