'We're definitely catching up': UNC Sailing Club gaining reputation and success

williams_sports-sailing-club-feature-2023
Members of the UNC Sailing Club sail during their practice on March 18, 2023. Photo Courtesy of Meredith Williams.

When most people think of action-packed races filled with tight finishes and bitter rivalries, sailing might not be the first sport that comes to mind.

Following its string of recent successes, the UNC Sailing Club is working to change that.

Fighting its way up the ranks of the South Atlantic Conference of the Intercollegiate Sailing Association, the club is slowly earning the respect of some of the conference's top programs.

The club competes in regattas, where teams with two boats of four people sail throughout the day in up to 12 races. The boats are powered by nothing but two sails and the wind, which can often be unpredictable.

After four disappointing results in regattas last fall and spring, the Tar Heels have spent time developing in several events this year. 

Their hard work has paid off. The club has competed in eleven races this year, finishing with six top-five placements and back-to-back qualifications for the SAISA Open fall and spring championships.

“We’re definitely catching up,” first-year sail team captain Mac Humphrey said. “While competitions might be getting a lot more difficult, we’re getting a lot better.” 

The team remains fearless in high-level competitions against historically dominant teams and is working hard to improve one race at a time. 

The club’s next step? Nationals.

“It's always possible," former president Taylor Betts said. "A lot of these already established varsity teams have professional coaches and administration. One of the unique challenges of having a club sailing team is most of it being organized and controlled by the officers of the club, who are also the sailors.”

This club aspect presents difficulties: Sailors take part in every leadership role, including organizing budgets, regattas, practices and more. This level of responsibility has sometimes acted as an obstacle when the club looks to find ways to travel and deal with equipment that junior dock master Matthias Pietrus said the club has used since the early 2000s. 

“I think it comes down to equipment,” Pietrus said. “We’ve got six boats right now, which means we can take 12 sailors out at any one time — and, usually, we have a bit more interest than that.”

Despite these setbacks, the club is pushing forward and making an effort to not only provide a sailing culture for the experienced students, but also for those who are getting acclimated to the sport. 

“There are no cuts. There are no tryouts. There are clinics several times a month that are designed to specifically teach students who have never had the opportunity to sail before, and that is really wonderful,” Betts said.

Regardless of wins or placement, the club will continue to pursue its love of being out on the water.

“It's really special to leave everything on the land,” Pietrus said. “Just having a nice quiet Friday afternoon to watch the sunset and hang out with people.”

@charliehaines02