Jay Mebane, current Burlington fire chief, to be new Chapel Hill fire chief

20221011_Dongarra_FireSaftey-3.JPG
Carolina blue fire truck is photographed at Chapel Hill Fire Department on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd on Oct. 10. Fire Prevention Week is Oct. 9 through Oct. 15. The motto for this year’s week is “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape™.”

Jay Mebane, the current fire chief for the City of Burlington, was announced as Chapel Hill's new fire chief by Interim Town Manager Chris Blue on Friday. 

Mebane has worked for the Burlington Fire Department for more than 15 years as a firefighter, assistant marshal, fire captain and fire chief.

“I am honored to be selected to serve as the next fire chief for the Town of Chapel Hill,” Mebane said in a press release. "I am looking forward to building on the legacy that was established by the great fire chiefs prior to my appointment."

Mebane will assume the position of fire chief on June 3, following the retirement of current fire chief, Vencelin Harris. 

“Chief Mebane stood out from a very talented pool of fire leaders, and his record of leadership with the City of Burlington and Burlington Fire Department have prepared him well to continue the good work of Chief Harris and the members of the Chapel Hill Fire Department,” Blue said in the press release.

@wslivingston_

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science. 

More in Chapel Hill