From the UNC System to our University – how the state, school and student body are led

university-school-governance-explainer.png
DTH Design.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly listed the undergraduate student body president as a non-voting member of the Board of Trustees. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

UNC is led by a variety of governing bodies that make decisions on the state, school and student body levels.

These institutions represent the students, staff and faculty at UNC in their decision making, and decide where much of the University's money and resources are allocated. Whether you're an incoming student or need a refresher, The Daily Tar Heel has compiled a list of these entities and their roles in leading UNC.

UNC System Board of Governors

The UNC System is made up of all 16 public universities in North Carolina and the N.C. School of Science and Mathematics.

It is governed by the UNC System President, Peter Hans, and a Board of Governors, made up of 24 voting members and one non-voting member from the UNC Association of Student Governments.

The governance of schools in the UNC System is ultimately the responsibility of the Board of Governors, which can dictate the development, planning and policies of schools, both individually and system wide.

The Board members serve four-year terms and are elected by the N.C. General Assembly. These members elect officers — a chair, vice chair and secretary— from within the Board every two years.

UNC Board of Trustees

The UNC Board of Trustees is made up of 12 voting members and the undergraduate student body president, who acts as a voting ex-officio member.

The trustees make decisions about the management and development of the University, as long as these choices align with the policies and guidelines set by the Board of Governors, and advise both the BOG and the chancellors on these decisions.

The Board of Trustees has been critiqued by the UNC community for past decisions. 

Most recently, they accelerated the creation of the School of Civic Life and Leadership, a new school within the College of Arts and Sciences, without prior knowledge or approval from University faculty. 

Four of the 12 voting members are appointed by the N.C. General Assembly and eight are elected by the Board of Governors.

UNC Administration and Faculty Governance

Kevin Guskiewicz is the University’s twelfth chancellor and is tasked with carrying out the policies of the Board of Governors and Board of Trustees. 

The provost, Chris Clemens, oversees academic planning and budgeting, as well as recommending and approving decisions related to the faculty and deans of schools.

The UNC Faculty Governance, led by newly-instated Chair of the Faculty Beth Moracco, advises the administrators and faculty on various matters, including educational policies and curriculum, research and campus climate.

UNC Student Government

The UNC Student Government is made up of an Undergraduate Student Government and a Graduate and Professional Student Government. 

Both have their own executive, legislative and judicial branches, as well as a joint council of representatives from both governments.

The 2023-24 Undergraduate Student Body President is Christopher Everett and the 2023-24 President of the Graduate and Professional Student Government is Lauren Hawkinson.

UNC Student Government has various committees whose roles include overseeing the distribution of student fees to campus organizations, enforcing the honor code and hearing student grievances.

Undergraduate students vote for their student body president, as well as their representative in the Undergraduate Student Senate, who represent districts based on groupings of majors. 

Information about voting can be found on the UNC Board of Elections page on Heel Life.

@eliza_benbow

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

Eliza Benbow

Eliza Benbow is the 2023-24 lifestyle editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer university editor. Eliza is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and creative writing, with a minor in Hispanic studies.

More in University

More in UNC system

More in Faculty

More in

More in Student Life