Orange County Schools Superintendent Monique Felder to leave district Aug. 2

20220221_Wilder_OrangeBOE-7-2.jpg
Orange County Schools Superintendent Monique Felder speaks at the beginning of a OCS Board of Education meeting on Monday, Feb. 21, 2022.

In an announcement to the district on Friday, Orange County Schools Superintendent Monique Felder said she would be leaving her role on Aug. 2.

The Orange County Schools Board of Education held a special called meeting at 11:45 this morning to discuss personnel matters — Felder's message was read when the board returned from a closed session.

Felder is leaving her role after just under four years and leading the district through the COVID-19 pandemic. Before coming to OCS, she worked as a teacher, assistant principal and principal and held administrative positions in Tennessee and Maryland.

In her message, she highlighted her accomplishments in the role, including the implementation of the district's strategic plan and equity plan.

"Your focus on equity allowed me to continue the work I have dedicated my career to: making sure that every single student — no matter their background or how they identify — feels safe, accepted, like they belong, and like they have all the tools they need to thrive in school," Felder said in the statement.

During the special meeting, the board appointed Jim Merrill — Wake County's former superintendent — to serve the interim role for six months during the search for a permanent replacement.

@ethanehorton1

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.