'The American tragedy': UNC chapter of Students Demand Action advocates for ending gun violence

20230908_Rhyne_universitystudentsdemandactionfeature-3.jpg
The executive board for Students Demand Action UNC posed for a photo at the Old Well on Friday, Sept. 8, 2023. Students Demand Action UNC took part in organizing and speaking at the rally in front of South Building last Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2023.

Since her sophomore year of high school, Kyle Lumsden has been involved with Students Demand Action, a national non-partisan organization dedicated to ending gun violence. Now a junior at UNC, she has helped to create a chapter on campus.

Lumsden said the group, which was founded at the end of last semester, creates opportunities for students to directly impact and advocate for stricter gun laws.

“A lot of our work is beyond rallying and meeting together, but it involves these heavy community partnerships, which involves talking to lawmakers and legislators and being at the General Assembly when a crazy law is about to be passed,” she said.

One of the group’s first events was speaking at the “This is Our Reality” rally on campus last Wednesday after the on-campus shooting on Aug. 28. Lumsden said the rally, which was hosted in collaboration with UNC Young Democrats and March for Our Lives, highlighted ways that students can fight against gun violence. 

Mitchell Pinsky, a graduate student advisor, said the rally also framed the organization’s objectives for the year. Among these goals is the group’s divestment campaign, which Pinsky said demands UNC’s endowment does not come from, or fund, the gun industry. 

Jessica Igollo-Ogele, a junior and co-leader of the UNC Students Demand Action chapter, said spreading awareness of divestment, which is when a company removes its money from an asset, is an important part of the organization.

“Trying to make the student body aware of what divestment is and call on action from universities to either release what they are investing in or divest so that they can pledge to not do that is a big thing,” she said.

In addition to a divestment campaign, Lumsden said that the organization wants to plan an advocacy day where students can go to their state capitol and speak with legislators. Pinsky said that even small actions from students — like calling legislators and registering to vote — can impact lawmakers.

Pinsky also said helping communities heal from gun violence is another important aspect of the organization. 

“Gun violence is unfortunately a part of American life and is really the American tragedy,” he said. “Focusing on community healing is going to look like partnering with neighboring counties like Durham County to host events for the youth about gun safety and violence intervention.”

Igollo-Ogele said the on-campus shooting that occurred on Aug. 28 has impacted her role as a leader moving forward. She said asking what students need and how the University can best support students is a main focus. 

“Not forgetting that within all of the hustle and bustle like rallies, media and press that there’s real people involved is something that I’m really passionate about,” she said.

Igollo-Ogele said this organization will help UNC students care more about issues surrounding gun violence and work together to solve them.

Lumsden said she believes her generation will create change as they recognize the impact gun violence has on communities, families and schools.

“We're this generation that's self aware and trying to move in and create change, so why should we not be part of the solution?” she said. “Why should we not be out there fighting for this?”

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com