Word on the Street: Carrboro Town Council passes Creekside Alignment for greenway

Lewis-090723-100.jpg
Bolin Creek Greenway on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023.

The Carrboro Town Council passed the Creekside Alignment option on Oct. 17 for the Bolin Creek Greenway after receiving the results of community engagement process for Phases 3 and 4 of the greenway. 

The alignment adds to the Bolin Creek Greenway and connects it to Smith Middle School, Chapel Hill High School and Seawell Elementary School. 

The Daily Tar Heel's Sarah Clements talked to Carrboro residents about the new choice for the Bolin Creek Greenway.

Brendan Chambers

"I prefer the Creekside Alignment. It got a lot of endorsements from people that I respect — the Triangle Blog Blog and the Sierra Club — so I went based mostly on their decision. It seems like it's gonna help improve transportation and bikeability, walkability, which are very important things to me, of course.”

“I hope that it happens and it can get through some of the gridlock in the town council and be implemented.” 

Frith Gowan

“I'm in favor of the alignment that will connect the Bolin Creek Greenway with the most people in Carrboro, and eventually connect to the Chapel Hill portion of the greenway and eventually all the way north to the Jones Creek Greenway — and connect people all the way from the schools to [University Place] in Chapel Hill.” 

Miles Rosen

“I'm excited that they selected [the Creekside Alignment]. It was nice seeing the survey results that a lot of folks were also in support of it. It is frustrating that it's taken a long time, but I think it's just a lot of the hurdles that go there. I think it was just one thing that the initial planning started back in like 2009. It's frustrating it's taken this long, but I'm happy that it's moving along toward it.”

Virginia Adamson

“I'm happy that the Town has made a decision, and I'm happy that they chose the Creekside Alignment because I believe that it's already what we need — and I'm waiting to see what happens next.” 

Holly Roper

"I really think that it's valuable to allow for safe walking trails and connectivity between Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Whenever I walk on the Bolin Creek Trail, I'm like, 'Oh, why isn't this connected over in Carrboro.'"

"Once I heard of the greenway plan, I was like, 'Yes, I'm definitely for this' because it will provide a light and an alternative way to get around the area that's away from traffic. It'll connect a couple of different schools and other areas as well. So there's all kinds of benefits.” 

Karen Herpel

"I actually live on Bolin Creek. I can walk to Bolin Creek and many of its entryways from my house. And even living there, I am not opposed to that plan."

“I was actually very happy and I think [the Creekside Alignment] will provide a lot of benefits and I don't believe that some of the harms that people who are opposed to it have outlined are accurate.” 

More in Carrboro