Oktoberfest: German festival celebrates Bavarian culture in the Triangle

lifestyle-oktoberfests-in-the-triangle.png

When it comes to fall, most Americans think of cooler weather, autumn leaves and pumpkin spice lattes. 

But, the end of September and beginning of October is also a time for Oktoberfest — a German folk festival that celebrates Bavarian culture with food, beer and traditional activities. 

Over the past few weeks, a number of Oktoberfest celebrations have taken place across the Triangle and Orange County. 

These Oktoberfest events provide the opportunity for residents in the Triangle to connect with their German heritage and culture, while also showcasing their traditions to the larger community.

Josh Wittman, a partner at Motorco Music Hall, which recently hosted its own Oktoberfest, said some of the traditional celebrations in the Triangle have been going on for 30 to 40 years and are attended by large groups of German families and German immigrants. 

Motorco's 13th annual Oktoberfest featured authentic German dishes and beers, live music and several activities.

Activities included traditional German challenges such as the Steinholding challenge, which tests a participant’s strength based on how long they can hold a liter of beer with a straight arm. They also held a pretzel toss, in which participants attempt to throw a pretzel onto a walking stick. 

“When people come, they're dressed up in actual lederhosen and actual dirndls, you know, the band, of course, is fully decked out in traditional garments,” Wittman said.

The Little German Band and Dancers, a Triangle-based group, performed Bavarian dances and music at Motorco’s Oktoberfest.  

Wittman said that at their last Oktoberfest, several German-speaking people approached him and gushed about the authenticity of Motorco's event. 

“It always feels good when you get that feedback that you're not just doing the American-ized version of this several-hundred-year-old event,” Wittman said.

Wittman is hosting another Oktoberfest at The Federal in Durham on Oct. 6. Fed-toberfest will start at 6 p.m. and feature German-style beers by Foothills Brewing, cuisine and music.  

The annual Triangle Oktoberfest will also run starting this Friday. The nonprofit event first began in 2013. 

“We started it in a parking lot at MacGregor Village in Cary and then the Town of Cary liked the idea," Craig Duerr, the Burgermeister, or host, for Triangle Oktoberfest, said. "We kind of collaborate with them."

The festival will be full of activities suitable for all ages, such as dachshund races and parades, steinholding competitions and a Miss and Mr. Oktoberfest pageant. 

Eventgoers will also have access to a variety of German foods, such as bratwurst, apple strudels, beer pretzels, lemon bars, Bavarian sausage platters and over 50 beers on tap. 

“Overall, I'm looking forward to the atmosphere," Allyson Harvey, who works in public relations for Triangle Oktoberfest, said. "It's a lot of fun and there's just a ton of people and everyone's just having a really good time."

All profits from the Triangle Oktoberfest go toward local and international charities.

One of its main beneficiaries is Meg’s Smile Foundation, a local organization that is dedicated to granting wishes to children with serious illnesses in North Carolina. 

“To date, we've raised $450,000 for charity," Duerr said. "This year, we're projecting about $125,000 that we'll raise for charity."

Dingo Dog Brewing Co. has put a unique spin on the festival. It hosted its third annual Barktoberfest last Saturday. 

The brewery's taproom manager and events coordinator Amanda Scherle said the brewery named their Oktoberfest event after their dog-focused mission.

“We work on having an extremely dog-friendly taproom and space and so we tend to orient a lot of our marketing and our aesthetic towards dogs, in particular because dogs can come out,” Scherle added. 

Dingo Dog also devotes profits to charitable foundations, Scherle said. The business supports animal welfare organizations such as Paws4ever, Independent Animal Rescue and Animal Park at the Conservators Center in Burlington, N.C. 

Community members can also participate in Oktoberfest at Pluck Farm in Mebane, N.C., on Oct. 7, Saxapahaw Oktoberfest on Oct. 13 at Haw River Ballroom and Durham Oktoberfest on Oct. 20 at Durham Central Park.

@preethikaratnam

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com