A quick guide to UNC football's schedule through 2030 post-ACC realignment

20211012_McGinnis_AccMbbTipoff-1.jpg

ACC Commissioner James J. Phillips speaks to the ACC Network at the 2021 ACC Men's Basketball Tipoff in Charlotte on Oct. 12, 2021.

The ACC announced its future football schedule model for the next seven years on Monday evening.

Here’s everything you need to know about UNC’s matchups through 2030 with the new conference opponents — Southern Methodist, California and Stanford — that joined the ACC on Sept. 1.

UNC, along with the other 13 current conference teams, will play a total of three times each in the state of California over the next seven years and will not travel to California in back-to-back seasons.

North Carolina won’t play SMU, Cal or Stanford in 2024 or 2026. The Tar Heels will play Stanford at home in 2025 and face Cal on the road, but will not face SMU until 2028.

In 2027, UNC will travel to Stanford. In 2028, the Tar Heels will host the Cardinal and travel to SMU. For the 2029 season, North Carolina will host Cal. In 2030, UNC will host SMU and play Cal on the road.

The approved format will have UNC, along with each ACC school, continue to play eight conference games per season. Beginning next year, all 17 ACC teams will play each other at least twice over the next seven seasons – once at home and once on the road.

Through seven years, here’s how many times UNC will play each team in the ACC:

• Seven matchups: Duke, Virginia and N.C. State
  • Four matchups: Clemson, Wake Forest
  • Three matchups: Cal, Florida State, Miami, Stanford and Virginia Tech
  • Two matchups: Boston College, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pitt, SMU and Syracuse

@danielhwei

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.