No. 1 UNC women's soccer defeats Miami, 1-0, at home

IMG_0944.jpg
UNC senior forward Avery Patterson (15) dribbles the ball during the women's soccer game against Miami at Dorrance Field on Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023. UNC beat Miami 1-0.

The No. 1 North Carolina women’s soccer team (9-0-4, 4-0-1 ACC) defeated Miami (3-6-3, 2-3 ACC), in a composed 1-0 finish at Dorrance Field on Thursday.

The Tar Heels demonstrated their patience and composure against a dominantly defensive Miami side, once again proving their spot at the top-ranked position in the Division I rankings.

Starting in an aggressive form, the Tar Heels took control of the first 15 minutes of the game. Holding a significant majority of possession in their attacking half, UNC produced four shots, with three being on goal, compared to the Hurricanes' zero.

This aggressiveness was soon translated into an inside-the-box goal from junior midfielder Emily Colton off an  assist of senior forward Avery Patterson in the 16th minute.

“The ball got to Avery out on the left, and knowing the player Avery is, I knew she was gonna be the player to get the ball in the box," Colton said.

The Tar Heels took control of the momentum, exploiting every weakness of the Miami defense and continuously maintaining pressure on both ends of the ball.

Despite the Tar Heels’ majority of play time in their own attacking half, there was still a struggle to truly produce around and inside the box, keeping the score a familiar 1-0 for the first 45 minutes of the game.

The collective team effort from North Carolina helped give an advantage, with five different players producing a total of six shots in the first frame.

Miami goalkeeper Melissa Dagenais stood out for the Hurricanes, producing acrobatic stops and finishing the match with eight saves.

Throughout the entirety of the first half, UNC held a firm grip on possession. The Tar Heels dominated with a majority of 66 percent possession time, compared to Miami's 34 percent.

The Tar Heels started slowly in the second half by taking time to build up attacks, starting in the back of their opposing half and working their way up to inside the box.

Going into the 54th minute, North Carolina started to speed up once again, with redshirt sophomore Ally Sentnor hitting the crossbar on shot from outside the box.

The second half remained slow, with UNC once again dominating possession, yet struggling to produce a finishing blow. Ultimately, North Carolina outshot Miami 20-1. The Tar Heel defense highlighted this composed performance, surrendering zero shots in the first 70 minutes of the game.

“If we don’t give up goals, we’re gonna create a lot of opportunities,” associate head coach Damon Nahas said. “In some games, we might get multiple goals, some games we might not get one. We got to take a lot of pride in not conceding opportunities and protecting our goal.”

The second half ended with North Carolina taking its time with the ball and maintaining a 1-0 lead until the final whistle was blown.

“We know that no ACC game is easy, so any win by any amount of goals we can get is a really good feeling,” Colton said.

The Tar Heels will head to Durham next on Sunday, Oct. 8 to take on rival neighbors No. 22 Duke. Kickoff is set at 4 p.m.

@CharlieHaines02