Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz releases statement on Israel-Hamas conflict

university-chancellor-qanda-0423

Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz speaks in an interview in his South Building office on Monday, April 24, 2023.

Updated Oct. 13, 5:41 p.m.: In an email to The Daily Tar Heel, Media Relations said UNC leaders are focused on "direct engagement with those impacted."

According to the statement, Guskiewicz met individually with students and student organizations, including NC Hillel on Tuesday. Additional meetings with members of the community are expected moving forward.

Media Relations also said there are several efforts in schools and units across campus for outreach in relation to the conflict, including events, gatherings and small listening sessions.

In a campus-wide email message on Friday, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz released a statement condemning "senseless acts of terror" in Israel by the militant group Hamas and acts of violence on UNC's campus.

Guskiewicz said the University's leadership team has been receptive to the concerns and experiences of students, faculty and staff regarding the recent escalation to war in Israel and Gaza. 

He emphasized safety, saying there is "no place for antisemitism or prejudice on our campus."

"While we have a commitment to allow both internal and external groups to express their opinions under the First Amendment, we also strive to rise above hateful rhetoric and engage in civil discourse and educated debate," Guskiewicz said.

Guskiewicz's statement comes one day after a pro-Palestine demonstration at Wilson Library on Thursday was met with a pro-Israel counterprotest. The demonstration coincided with the University Day ceremony to celebrate the University's 230th anniversary.

"I recognize that our Jewish and Muslim students, faculty, and staff are all affected by this violence in different ways," he said in the email.

Guskiewicz also added that campus organizations — including NC Hillel, the Center for Jewish Studies and the UNC Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies — are working to increase awareness of the conflict and support the UNC community.

The Daily Tar Heel has reached out to UNC Media Relations for further comment. 

@ashnqm

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

Ashley Quincin

Ashley Quincin is a 2023-24 assistant university desk editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as a university staff writer. Ashley is a senior pursuing a degree in English and comparative literature, with a double minor in media and journalism and composition, rhetoric and digital literacy.