Allen Buansi to seek re-election to N.C House of Representatives

20211001_Rhyne_cityallenbuansi-4.jpg

Allen Buansi poses for a portrait on Oct. 1, 2021. 

N.C Rep. Allen Buansi (D-Orange) announced in a press release on Wednesday that he will run for re-election in N.C House District 56. 

Buansi is an attorney and former Chapel Hill Town Council membe who was raised in Orange County. He won the Democratic nomination to District 56 in 2022. He is a co-chair of the House Democratic Freshman Caucus and has introduced or helped introduce over 15 bills.

Buansi was the primary sponsor of H.B 293, which proposed funding for the N.C State Board of Elections and provisions to increase voter turnout. The bill was supported by every N.C. House and Senate Democrat.

Buansi's platform includes environmental justice, expanding access to education and eliminating barriers to healthcare access. 

According to Wednesday's press release, Buansi has a vision for North Carolina that involves investing in public education, providing opportunities for workers and small business owners, providing affordable healthcare and protecting vulnerable communities.

“I have been honored and privileged to serve the people of House District 56,” Buansi said in the release. “This community raised me, and I am deeply committed to supporting our district and to getting our state back on track.”

Lucy Marques

Lucy Marques is a 2023-24 assistant city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She was previously a city & state senior writer. Lucy is a junior pursuing a double major in political science and Hispanic literatures and cultures.