Linda's Bar & Grill's closure will not be permanent, namesake's daughter says

20240105_Tillman_lifestyle-lindas-community-last-week

Customers stand in Linda's Bar and Grill for trivia on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2024. The restaurant is slated to close on Friday, Jan. 5, 2024.

Linda's Bar and Grill, the 47-year-old restaurant that announced it will close Friday, is not shutting its doors permanently.

Kim Scott, the daughter of Linda Williams, who owns the building that houses the restaurant and is the restaurant's original owner, said that she and her mother have been working to find a new owner to reopen the bar. 

The restaurant will close Friday and will remain so until Scott and Williams can find someone to take over the lease and take the necessary legal steps. Scott said she has been contacted by multiple interested community members. 

Scott said her and her mother found out about the restaurant's closure through The Daily Tar Heel's reporting. Many non-managerial staff members  also found out about the closure through the DTH's reporting.

Christopher Carini, the current owner of Linda's, announced the closure on Tuesday after "a slew of things" beginning with the COVID-19 pandemic caused the restaurant to accrue major debt. Carini has owned Linda's since 2011. 

"It was very shocking that he didn't call us after 13 years and say, 'Hey, this is what I'm doing'," Scott said.

Though Carini experienced difficulties owning Linda's throughout the pandemic, Scott said she thinks he has done everything in his power to "keep at it."

"I'm just grateful and thankful that alumni from Carolina have wanted to come and step forward," she said.

Since the announcement of Linda's closure, the Chapel Hill community has rushed to have one last meal or drink at the beloved Franklin Street institution. It's been packed all week, with standing room only.

The news that Linda's would not be permanently closing came just a few hours before a final night of karaoke — a celebration the restaurant has called Linda's Last Stand on menus and on its social media — officially began.

“It's gonna be Chris’ farewell party, but we’re working hard to keep the doors open," Scott said.

@wslivingston_ | @ethanehorton1

@DTHCityState | city@dailytarheel.com

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science.