Gene Chizik, Tim Cross depart from UNC football amid coaching staff changes

090223_crochik_mayoclassicselects-21.jpg

UNC Assistant Head Coach for Defense Gene Chizik running onto the field before the game at the Duke’s Mayo Classic against South Carolina at Bank of America Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023. The Tar Heels won 31-17.

Gene Chizik, the assistant head coach for defense, will part ways with the UNC football team in 2024, UNC athletic communications announced on Wednesday morning.

“Gene Chizik is one of the best football coaches I’ve shared the sideline with during my 46 years of coaching,” Brown said in the statement released by athletic communications. “He’s a man of faith who worked tirelessly to provide the best coaching and mentorship he could to the young men he coached. We met extensively following the season, and despite the improvements from last season to this season, we mutually agreed that parting ways would be in the best interest of both he and the program. I want to thank Gene and his family for all they’ve done for our program and wish them nothing but the best.”

Per Matt Zenitz of 247Sports, Geoff Collins, former head coach at Georgia Tech and Temple, has been hired as the new defensive coordinator for UNC football, replacing Chizik. 

Collins was let go from Georgia Tech midseason in 2022. A former linebacker at Western Carolina, Collins was a defensive coordinator at Florida, Mississippi State, and Florida International before coaching at Temple and, most recently, Georgia Tech. North Carolina officially announced his hiring on X and Instagram Friday.

Chizik, despite a 28-year long collegiate coaching career and a successful tenure as defensive coordinator at UNC from 2015-2016, was largely unable to find success in his second stint at North Carolina over the past two seasons.

The UNC defense ranked just 95th nationally in 2023, and 116th nationally in 2022, and played a significant role in the late season collapses the team suffered in both years. 

“Being a part of 36 wins and two ACC Coastal Championships during my four years at UNC has truly been a blessing,” Chizik stated. “Mack Brown and I will continue to be the closest of friends and I want to wish all of the coaches, players and administration the best moving forward. I love these young men at UNC and will always be grateful that our paths crossed.” 

Additionally, Tim Cross, the defensive line coach, will be replaced by current senior defense analyst Ted Monachino. 

“I want to thank Coach Cross and his family for all they’ve done for our program,” Brown said. “He is a wonderful man and an outstanding football coach. Tim really cares about the young men he coaches, and you can see that in the relationships he’s built with them. We wish him well in his future endeavors.” 

Monachino joined the program prior to the 2023 season, bringing with him 33 years of coaching experience including 16 years in the NFL.

”I was very impressed with Coach Monachino’s work ethic and acumen during his first year as an analyst,” Brown said. “I believe his depth of experience at the NFL and collegiate levels will be a great asset to not only our defensive line room, but our defense as a whole. It’s also an added bonus that our players are already familiar with him. I’m excited to see what he can do in this new role.”

@peacegwen

Gwen Peace

Gwen Peace is the 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as a senior writer. Gwen is a sophomore pursuing a double major in media and journalism and peace, war and defense.