'We’re excited to dive in:' Carolina Women's Center welcomes new leadership

contrib-university-carolina-womens-center-new-leadership.jpg

Dr. Shauna Harris, the new director of the Carolina Women's Center, poses for a portrait on May 21, 2022.

Photo Courtesy of Dr. Shauna Harris.

The Carolina Women’s Center is back in action and operating with a fresh set of leaders. 

On Jan. 2, Shauna Harris and Shelley Kennedy officially stepped into the roles of director and assistant director of the center, respectively. 

The center was founded in 1997 as a resource for women on UNC’s campus. The center offers lactation spaces, domestic and sexual violence support, information for women navigating a work-life balance and mentorship opportunities. In recent years, Kennedy said the center has not been functional due to staffing changes that resulted in vacancies in leadership roles. Now that these roles have been filled, the center works to get back on its feet. 

“It’s going to be broad work,” Kennedy said. “There’s a lot to be done — but we’re excited to dive in.” 

Harris said she likes to call herself a “generalist,” meaning she has many areas of expertise. She emphasized her passion for strategic planning, vision setting and organizational development.

“As someone coming into this leadership role, I’m really focused on, ‘Who do we need to serve on our campus?’ and 'How can we shape our Women’s Center to ensure that we’re meeting those needs?'” Harris said

Kennedy's new role as assistant director brings her professional career full circle. During her time at UNC as an undergraduate, Kennedy worked with the center as an intern before transitioning to a full-time position after graduating.

Following her time with the center, Kennedy went on to work with the Orange County Rape Crisis Center and Girls on the Run Triangle before returning to UNC as a violence prevention coordinator in Student Affairs in 2021

Now, Kennedy looks to combine her knowledge of the center’s past success with the ever-evolving needs of UNC’s campus and broader community. 

“We’re assessing this robust history that the Women’s Center has and looking at what we want to carry forward from that history,” she said. “But, this is also a turning point of sorts and an opportunity for us to pivot where necessary and build upon those past successes to make sure that we are meeting Carolina’s current needs."  

Vice Provost of Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer Leah Cox said she hopes the center will aid women in maneuvering through spaces where they’re often overlooked.

“I really think if we’re going to be equitable and inclusive that we also have to have those support systems for women — not just for students — but for faculty, staff, administrators and the community,” she said

When considering who to appoint to these roles at the center, Cox said leadership experience and a broad understanding of issues related to gender equity were at the forefront. She said Harris and Kennedy exemplified these qualities throughout their professional careers, demonstrating a commitment to inclusivity and gender equity. 

Looking ahead, Harris and Kennedy said the UNC community can anticipate connecting with the center soon — whether through formal or informal engagements. 

Kennedy said many of the center’s most successful initiatives came from conversations with those hoping to bring change on campus. She said she and Harris are excited to hear from members of the campus community with “new ideas and new energy” around gender equity. 

Harris said she wants to ensure that the voices and needs of the community are being captured in the work done at the center. She hopes to amplify women on campus and promote self-agency.  

“Stay tuned, because we want to make sure that everybody feels like they can be a part of what we’re doing,” Harris said.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com